Welcome to Muhlenberg
First-Year Student "To-Do" List - Class of 2017
Select a Month
- Prepare for your June Advising visit
In early May, expect a letter from Michael Huber, Dean of Academic Life, assigning your day of advising - either June 6, 7, 10, 12, or 14. Included with this letter will be a packet of information for both you and your parents.
If you have any questions after you have read this packet of information, call 484-664-3130. Our staff will be happy to assist you. We believe that many, if not all, of your questions will be answered by the material in this packet.
You will also receive health forms from the Health Center. If you do not receive a packet by May 14, please call 484-664-3130 to request one.
- Return the postcard
Complete the rsvp postcard and return it to the college by May 18th to ensure your appointment or call the office at 484-664-3130 to reschedule your day if necessary. Highlight that day on your calendar and call the office immediately should any conflicts arise.
Read through the Welcome to Muhlenberg booklet
- Examine the First-Year Seminars being offered
First-year students are required to roster one First-Year Seminar, either in the fall or the spring semester. Carefully read each description in the First-Year Seminars Booklet and choose eight seminars. Rank your eight choices in order of your preference. Make sure that you would be comfortable taking all of your eight selected seminars. (If you are a Muhlenberg Scholar, DANA Scholar or RJ Fellow, you will be pre-assigned to the appropriately designated First-Year Seminar.)
- Familiarize yourself with the General Academic Requirements for the Class of 2017
Taking a course that fulfills a requirement is a great idea. You are not only completing a graduation requirement but also gaining insight into which topics you might like to pursue even further. Note: If you have taken a College Board Achievement Test, Advanced Placement Test or International Baccalaureate exam or believe that you can demonstrate the required level of your proficiency in a subject area, see “Exemptions from Requirements” on page 9 of the Welcome to Muhlenberg booklet. If you have any questions about proficiency level, please contact the department chair by calling 484-664-3100 or talk with a representative from the department during June Advising. Possible exemptions and/or credit may be granted
- Look over the list of fall semester courses and build a tentative fall schedule
Review the Courses for First Year Students List . For further descriptions, consult the Muhlenberg Course Catalog. Pick four (4) preferred courses (including a seminar and a foreign language) and three alternate courses from the list. Write these selections down and bring them with you to your advising session. The College suggests that incoming students take four courses during their first semester. However, you may register for the maximum of four and a half course units to include special experiences like Applied Music or Dance which are half units. Be certain to choose some alternate courses in the event that your first choices are unavailable.
- Complete the on-line placement questionnaires and exams
Complete the online Mathematics Placement Questionnaire and Exam (April 27 to May 19)
Complete the online Foreign Language Placement Questionnaire (April 27 to May 19)
<Top of page>
- Complete your Online Housing Application
- Attend your scheduled June Advising date
Bring the following items with you:
Your completed First-Year Seminar Form
Your four (4) course selections and alternates
Your completed health forms provided by the College Health Center
- Have your student identification card picture taken
- Sign your Housing Contract
- Meet with an advisor to select fall courses.
<Top of page>
- Watch for updates on this website. This website was created to introduce first-year students to resources and services available at the College. Visit this site regularly for additions and new information throughout the summer.
- Watch your mailbox for notification on how to login to Muhlenberg's Online Capstone System where you can find class schedules, housing assignments, and roommate information. This mailing will be sent on or around July 19.
- Go on-line to complete the AlcoholEdu program. All first year students are required to complete an online alcohol course before you arrive on campus. The instructions will be e-mailed to you. The course will be accessible July 25. Please activate your Muhlenberg e-mail account so that you will be able to receive the instruction guidelines.
- Complete the Clifton StrengthsFinder Assessment. In your summer mailing you will receive instructions on how to take this unique assessment designed to help you maximize your potential for success both in college and your personal life. You can find out more about StrengthsQuest at strengthsquest.com
<Top of page>
- Start a packing list for Move-in Day
Make sure you are aware of the items to bring and not to bring to Muhlenberg.
- Consider shipping some of your items ahead of time
Because of limited storage facilities, first-year residential students are permitted to ship items as long as they arrive the week of orientation which would be the week of August 19 this year. If you wish to ship some things ahead of time, please follow these specific instructions for doing so.
- Download the Guidebook App
Orientation schedules will be available for your smart phone or tablet device in August. You'll be able to view a complete schedule of the weekend and set reminders for important programs, meetings, and events.
- Show up!
Move-in for first-year residential students begins at 7:00 a.m. on Friday, August 23, 2013. Please note that the Alcoholedu Program must be completed before you move into the residence halls
You will have received information on traffic patterns to get access to your hall prior to this time.
All students (commuting and residential) can pick up their orientation materials at the Welcome Center, located in the Light Lounge of the Seegers Union between 7:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
<Top of page>