Lost and Found Policy and Procedures
LOST AND FOUND POLICY
The Trexler Library is not responsible for items left behind by patrons of the library, but the Library would like to provide a convenient mechanism for assisting in the return of items to the owner. The Trexler Library Lost and Found Policy establishes a procedure regarding the handling and return of items found in the library, the disposition of unclaimed items, and a mechanism to track items reported lost.
LOST AND FOUND PROCEDURES
Purpose of Procedures
The Lost and Found Procedures give instructions for handling and tracking items found and turned in to Lending Services and items reported lost to Lending Services.
Procedure for Found Items
- All found items should be turned in to Lending Services. Misappropriation of such items may be treated as theft or fraud under the college policies and the relevant Pennsylvania Crimes Code. (See:
Social Code in the Student Policy and Resource Guide: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/pdf/main/aboutus/deanst/studentguide.pdf#Soc
Trustees' Handbook for Managers, Code of Conduct: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/main/aboutus/hr/handbook/manager/4_1.html
and Handbook for Support Staff, Security and Care of Equipment: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/main/aboutus/hr/handbook/staff/8_2.html
- Staff will record items of value such as wallets, purses, keys, backpacks, and electronic devices on the logsheet titled “Found Items of Value” (see attached sheet) at the time they are turned in. Information requested in the logbook will help to ensure items are accounted for and returned to the rightful owners. Library staff are responsible for filling out the logbook completely and accurately. Completed logbook sheets will be kept on file at the location where filled out.
- A Circulation Services staff member will make every attempt to contact the owner if sufficient identification is on the item. The Circulation Services staff will check the Lost Items list to see if the item has been reported lost.
- Items of value will be kept in a secure location. Twice each month any items of value in lost and found will be turned over to the Campus Safety Office.
- All other lost and found articles will be kept in the Lending Services area in a designated place.
- In order to claim a found item, the owner must describe the item as closely as possible. After ownership is established as well as possible, the owner needs to sign out for the item if it is an item of value. If it is not an item of value, the item may be returned immediately to the owner.
- Items in Lost and Found which are not claimed by the end of each semester will be disbursed. Items of value will be taken to the Campus Safety Office. Non-reusable items will be disposed. All reusable items will be appropriately donated.
Procedure for Lost Items
A log sheet will be made available at the Lendings Services desk for library users who report missing items (see attached sheet). A person may list a lost item along with their name, email or phone number. A staff member will contact the person if the item is turned in to the library.
Approved by the Library Committee -- September 2007