Academic Resource Center
Facts about Muhlenberg's Peer Tutor Program
Our program is certified from Level I through the Master Level with the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). In addition, Muhlenberg College has membership with the National Tutoring Association (NTA) and National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA).
What is the College Reading and Learning Association and why is it important to be certified?
CRLA is a group of student-oriented professionals active in the fields of English, reading, learning assistance, developmental education, and tutorial services at the college/adult level. Members give practical application to their research and promote the implementation of innovative strategies to enhance student learning.
Certification provides our program with guidelines that offer credibility while assuring continued growth as a quality peer tutoring program.
What are the rates of pay ?
Rate A: $7.50
- Starting rate for ALL tutors
Rate B: 8.25
- Regular 1:1 Tutors who achieve Level I CRLA Certification
- The tutor must have 10 hours of training and 25 hours of tutoring.
- Tutors should notify Monica Cocca when they become certified.
- Small Group Tutors
- Non-certified Learning Assistants, LSIs, and Head Tutors
Rate C: $8.40
- Tutors who achieve Level II CRLA Certification
- The tutor must have 20 hours of training and 50 hours of tutoring.
- Certified LSIs and Workshop Tutors
Rate D: $8.65
- Certified (Levels I-III) Head Tutors
- Certified(Levels I-III) Learning Assistants
- Tutors who achieve Level III Certification - Master Tutors
How do I become a certified tutor?
- Level I - 10 hours of tutor training and 25 hours of tutoring
- Level II - 20 hours of tutor training and 50 hours of tutoring
- Master Level - 30 hours of tutor training and 75 hours of tutoring
- New tutors are required to have a minimum of 4 hours of training before their initial meeting with a tutee