To Go, or Not To Go
Good Reasons to Go to Graduate School
- I have a passionate interest in the topic.
- I need the degree for what I want to do.
Not-So-Good Reasons to Go to Graduate School
- I don’t know what else I’ll do with my bachelor’s degree – People tell me I can’t do much with a _____ degree.
- I’m not ready to be in the ‘real world’ yet – I’d rather stay in school!
- My parents (Uncle George, I) think if I don’t go now, I’ll never go.
- I heard I’ll earn more money if I go to grad school.
First, evaluate which category you are in. If your reason fits the “not-so-good” category, reconsider. Talk to a career counselor about how you can conduct research that will help you make an informed decision about your next step. Graduate schools are evaluating your motivation and interest, so spend more time thinking about WHY you are applying. You will be a better candidate if you have focus.
Return to the Career Center homepage.
The Career Center, Muhlenberg College
2400 W. Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104-5586
Ph: (484) 664-3170 Fax: (484) 664-3533
Questions and comments? Send e-mail to email@example.com