Mail for Employees
Mail for individuals who are no longer employed will continue to be forwarded to their respective departments and it is the responsibility of each department to determine the disposition of this mail. The mailroom should be notified when employees transfer to other departments or change locations on campus so that mail delivery will not be disrupted.
The Mailroom stocks a limited supply of stamps for personal and business use. Stamps for personal use may be purchased at the service window during regular business hours (see Hours of Operation). Stamps for departmental use may be obtained as follows:
- For orders of 200 or less, complete the Stamp Requisition Request and submit it to the mailroom.
- For orders of more than 200, complete the Stamp Requistion Request and submit it to the mailroom by the first or third Monday of the month.
- The mailroom will order the stamps and will notify your department when the stamps have been received which is usually within 7-10 business days.
Standard (bulk) mailings are those with 200 or more identical pieces that are to be sent at third class postal rates. Listed below are some basic guidelines regarding standard mail:
- Minimum of 200 pieces.
- Pieces must be identical.
- Must be sorted in ascending zip code order. Trays, bins, or boxes must also indicate zip code order. For example, if you have 10 trays of mail, they should be numbered 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc.
- Total number of pieces must be provided.
- Permit indicia must be used on all envelopes or mail pieces. Contact the mailroom if you need a copy of the indicia for your document.
- Must be mailed within the United States.
- Must be processed through the mailroom or by using a mailing service. Bulk mail envelopes cannot be used to mail first class mail, nor can a bulk mail be mailed at a regular mail box.
- Must comply with the Move Update requirement mandated by the United States Postal Service.
Departments using a mailing service will need to submit the Mailing Service Notification form to the mailroom. This ensures that adequate funds are available to cover the cost of the mailing. It also saves time in tracing charges when billing information is received.
All bulk mail must be delivered to the Bulk Mail Entry Unit (BMEU) located at 17 S. Commerce Way Lehigh Valley, PA 18002-9652 (off Routes 22 East and 512 North).
Inter-office envelopes and envelopes for jobs that are to be handled by the mailroom must be requisitioned from the Copy Center.
Campuswide distributions to faculty and staff must be bundled and labeled by department. Distributions to specific groups of staff must also be bundled and labeled.