The Muhlenberg College Mailroom is responsible for two main areas of operation: (1) campus mail, which handles incoming and outgoing mail for faculty, staff, and students and (2) standard (bulk) mail. In order to ensure proper handling and disposition of mail, please review the basic procedures noted below or call the mailroom at Extension 3162 with any questions or concerns. Additional information is included throughout this site under more specific headings.
- Each department's entire mailing account number must be included with all outgoing mail.
- Campus mail, domestic mail and international mail must be bundled separately and clearly marked. Also separate and bundle handwritten mail from typewritten mail.
- Outgoing mail in #10 envelopes should be nested and banded together.
- Larger-sized envelopes must be sealed. Clasps must be taped.
- All outgoing mail must face the same direction (not upside down or backwards).
- Mark "SEAL ONLY" on #10 envelopes with postage already affixed. Keep these banded together.
- Campus mail sent in inter-office envelopes should include the recipient's name and department. Cross out previous name or markings so that the name of the intended recipient is clearly identifiable.
- Mail for distribution to students must be submitted with a Mailroom Work Request. Mail for specific groups of students must include their box numbers in ascending order. Mail for distribution to all students is not to be labeled.
- Standard (bulk) mail must include the bulk mail permit indicia, either on the envelope or on the mailpiece, and sorted in zip code order. Contact the Copy Center at Extension 3229 for additional information.
Incoming mail is picked up at the local post office on Postal Road in Allentown. It is then sorted and delivered to offices and student mailboxes.
Outgoing mail is picked up by mid-afternoon by the United States Postal Service. Mail delivered to the mailroom after 3:00 p.m. will be metered the following business day. Please try to have large mailings at the mailroom as early as possible for same day dispatch. Notify the mailroom if special circumstances arise.
Packages are delivered by various carriers each day. Students are required to pick up packages at the Mailroom. (See Package Delivery information under STUDENTS). Packages for faculty and staff are delivered along with regular mail. Each department is responsible for arranging with Plant Operations for the delivery of packages over 50 pounds.
Personal mail may be mailed with outgoing mail provided adequate postage is affixed. In addition to postage, please include a return address. Personal mail with insufficient postage will be returned to sender.
Contact the Mailroom at Extension 3162 for information regarding your mailing needs.
Lost and Found
The Lost and Found Department is located at the Information Desk in Seegers Union. Any books, articles, etc., that are accidentally left in the mailroom are forwarded to the Lost and Found Department.
Did you remember to...
- Complete and include any required forms with your job?
- Ensure that all envelopes are addressed?
- Ensure that all envelopes have something in them?
- Ensure that your address shows through your window envelope, even when it is tossed around?
- Include department's account number?
- Bundle campus mail (in #10 envelopes), label it "Campus Mail" and separate it from outgoing mail?
- Bundle and separate handwritten mail from typewritten mail?
- Bundle and separate international mail from domestic mail?
- Nest #10 envelopes?
- Mark “SEAL ONLY” on #10 envelopes with postage already affixed?
- Include return address on all mail?
- Ensure that all outgoing mail is facing the same direction, i.e., not upside down or backwards?
- Seal envelopes larger than #10?
- Tape clasps on envelopes larger than #10?
- Properly address inter-office envelopes with name of individual and department?
- Use standard (bulk mail envelopes (with non-profit indicia) for bulk mail (more than 200 pieces)?
- Include the appropriate Ancillary Service Endorsement on standard (bulk) mail?
- Provide total count for bulk mail?
- Sort standard (bulk) mail in zip code order and numbered containers in zip code order?
- Confirmed address placement on flats for bulk mail?
- Ensure that adequate postage is affixed on personal mail?
This guide has been prepared for the benefit and use of faculty, staff, and students of Muhlenberg College, based on the needs of the campus community.