Why should you study abroad?
Why study abroad? (Part 1)
- World view and open-mindedness
- Opens up future possibilities for career choices
- Learn a great deal about your own country by seeing it from the outside and the way outsiders see it
- Learn a different way of life, culture, and maybe even a foreign language
- Appreciate the value of knowing a foreign language
- Learn how to travel: use travel guides and dictionaries, read train schedules, make travel arrangements, etc.
- Learn a great deal about yourself, gain self-awareness, independence, and confidence
- Sight-see and have fun
- Learn a different perspective or approach to your own major or minor
- It is an adventure — learn how to take informed risks
Why study abroad? (Part 2)
General reasons of why higher education promotes study abroad:
- Advancement of access and diversity
- More international content of the college curriculum.
- Global context in your future profession and decision-making
- The business community showed that corporations prefer graduates who have had exposure to international politics, trade and foreign language
- Our national security depends on foreign language skills of members of the FBI, CIA and the Pentagon
- We need greater multicultural and global awareness to promote world peace and conflict resolution
- Global Education helps build the bridges between two different cultures (ours versus theirs)