Department of Political Science
Political Science Honors
Exceptional students in Political Science are invited to propose a research project for honors consideration during their senior year. Proposals must be submitted by the beginning of the spring semester. Applicants will work closely with a faculty member in developing and completing an honors thesis using empirical or theoretical research methods. To be eligible for honors, students must meet the following requirements:
1. A 3.75 GPA in political science courses and an overall 3.50 GPA at the beginning of the first or second semester of the senior year.
2. Honors candidates will enroll in either a political science seminar or an independent study during their senior year.
3. The student will present and successfully defend his or her thesis in a public forum before political science faculty and students. After the thesis defense, department faculty will determine the award of honors.
Recent honors theses titles:
- War and the Rationality of Service
- Female Candidates’ Approaches to Gender Stereotyping in Campaign Television Advertisements
- Changing Media Coverage of Female Athletes Since Title IX
- Land Management and Sprawl
- Government Funding for Sports Franchises and Stadiums
- Justice and the War in Iraq