B.A., Dickinson College, M.Ed., Kutztown University, Ed.D., Lehigh University
As a licensed psychologist, I was director of the Muhlenberg College Counseling Center from 1985-1999, before turning to full time teaching. I teach Intro, Abnormal, Psychology of Women, First Year Seminars in the Psychosocial Development of Women and Meanings of Madness. My research interests include Psychosocial Development of Women, Counseling, College age development and Parenting.
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Book - Parenting College Freshmen: Consulting for Adulthood (2002; First Authors, Indianapolis, IN)
- Quoted in numerous articles on eating disorders, stress, parenting, and college student development in publications including Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Baltimore Sun, Wilmington News Journal, Texas Hana Gazette, Seventeen, College Bound, Shape, First for Women, and Mademoiselle.
- Human concern is overlooked in rhetoric about baby's death, The Morning Call, November, 1996.
- Wish them well, but leave the cage open, The Easton Express, 8/30/1994, The Sunday Oklahoma, 9/11/1994, Los Angeles Times, 9/14/1994.
- Contrary to stereotypes single-parent families can work, The Morning Call, 7/8/1994. Distributed by the Los Angeles Times/Washington Post News Service. Published in various local papers nationwide.
- The Grossberg/Peterson murder case: The lessons learned in two campuses. Presented at National Association of Student Personnel Administrators conference in Philadelphia, PA, March 1998.
- Single parents and dating, program expert appearing on the Oprah Winfrey Show, December 19, 1994.
- Student rights: A unique response to awareness and education, at annual conference of National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, Boston, MA 1993.
- Innovations in college counseling-1993: Letting go: A three part lecture series for parents of new students, at annual conference at American College Personnel Association, Kansas City, MO, March 1993.
- An innovative approach to assist the learning disabled student, at annual conference of American Association for Counseling and Development, Atlanta, GA 1991.
- Student development: A case study of integration of services, at annual conference for the National Association of Student Personnel Services Region II, Lancaster PA, June 1988.
- Integrating student development services, keynote address at annual meeting of the Delaware Valley Counseling Association, Philadelphia, PA, January 1988