The Department of Sociology & Anthropology
Requirements for Admission to Honors Program in Anthropology
• A 3.60 GPA in anthropology courses and an overall 3.00 at the time of application.
• The successful completion of at least two 300 level electives in Anthropology.
• The completion and submission of the "Proposal Form for Honors in Anthropology" descrpibing the project to be undertaken, submitted to the faculty advisor of your project and the Chair of the Department of Sociology & Anthropology on or before June 1.
Requirements for Completion of Honors Program in Anthropology
• Honors students must enroll in ATH 450 "Advanced Seminar in Anthropology", offered in the fall semester of their senior year..
• Honors students must enroll in an Independent Study/Research unit in the spring semester of their senior year devoted to the development of the honors thesis.
• The completion of a thesis (c. 50 to 70 pages) that contains original and empirical work using qualitative and/or quantitative data. Copies of the thesis must be made available to faculty supervisors and must meet honors requirements (separate from Senior Seminar standards) before the oral defense can take place. Students conducting a multi-disciplinary research project should work with a faculty member from that discipline as well as the faculty member conducting the department’s Senior Seminar, and have both faculty members evaluate the thesis.
• A presentation of the research at the department’s annual Senior Symposium in the spring.
• The passing of an oral defense of the thesis work conducted by two members of the department at the end of the spring semester of the senior year. Students with multi-disciplinary projects working with a faculty member from that discipline must have that faculty member participate in the defense.