H1N1 Influenza Information & Prevention


General Information

Could it be H1N1 flu?

If your son or daughter has a sudden onset of body aches, a fever of 100°F or greater, and a cough and/or a sore throat, he/she may have this viral infection. Students should go to Student Health Services to be evaluated and possibly tested for influenza.

Ways to Prevent the Spread of H1N1 Flu

  • Remind your students to clean their hands frequently with soap and warm water or use alcohol based hand sanitizers when water is not available.
  • Encourage them to avoid contact with people who are sick
  • Encourage them to cover their mouth and nose when they cough or sneeze
  • Encourage them to avoid touching their eyes, nose, and mouth
  • Encourage them to get adequate sleep and good nutrition

What to do if your son or daughter has the flu…

Medical Care Issues

  • Following CDC recommendations for self isolation, Muhlenberg College will strongly urge students with flu-like illness to leave campus and return home to rest and recover. Students may return to campus 24 hours after the fever has resolved without the use of fever reducing medication. Students with flu-like illness who are unable to go home should not attend classes or any public gatherings. If the current H1N1 trend continues, this self isolation will be approximately one week or less.
  • Students with medical conditions (i.e. asthma, diabetes, cardiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, or who are immunocompromised, etc.) should consult their own physicians or Student Health Services as soon as possible and definitely within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms for evaluation of their symptoms and to consider starting antiviral medication.
  • Those with flu-like illness should wear a mask while in the presence of others. These masks can be obtained through Student Health Services .
  • E mergency warning signs for any individual with influenza like illness that need urgent medical attention include:

  • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Sudden dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough

If any of the above signs occur, please have your son or daughter call Health Services during the day (484-664-3199) or Campus Safety (484-664-3110) for immediate medical evaluation.

  • The Flu is treated symptomatically…

    • Get extra rest
    • For pain, fever, or general sick feeling they make take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) per the package directions if they are not allergic to these medications nor have any medical reasons that they should not take these medications. Do not take Aspirin.
    • To keep their throat moist, have them increase their fluid intake. If it is difficult to swallow solid foods, nourishment can be maintained with gelatin desserts, fruit juices, ice cream, etc. Warm fluids often feel better than cold fluids.
    • Throat lozenges or hard candies may be soothing to their throat
    • Please have your son or daughter call or come to Health Services for any concerns!

What to do if your son or daughter has the flu... Academic & Housing Issues

  • With maintaining self isolation, if your student has influenza they should not attend class or any public event for at least 24 hours after the fever is gone. Please remember that in balancing public health and class attendance, public health must carry the greatest weight. If the current H1N1 trend continues, most student absences will be approximately one week or less.
  • For missed classes:

    • The student should notify their professors by their professors’ predetermined method (telephone, email, or other non face-to-face contact) that they have flu-like symptoms and will be missing classes
    • The student should discuss with their professors reasonable timelines for making-up missed work
  • Please notify the appropriate offices (see below) that the student is ill:

    • If they live in the residence halls, notify the RA.
    • If they live in the MILE properties or Greek housing, notify the Office of Residential Services at 484-664-3180.
    • If they are a commuter, notify Health Services at 484-664-3199.
    • Additionally, please share have them share their contact information (address and phone number) of where they will be staying if away from campus while they are ill.