A Final Letter from
Tammy Bormann '83 and Jeff Porphy '89
Dear Fellow Members of the Muhlenberg Family,
This is it – the final days of The Talents Entrusted to Our Care: The Campaign for Muhlenberg College! As we head to the finish line, our alma mater is stronger in so many ways. We’re so proud of the progress we’ve made thanks to the financial support of alumni, parents, friends, faculty, staff and students, including:
- Improved academic quality with stronger programs in Music, Sociology & Anthropology, Biology, Political Science and Psychology; new academic programs in Neuroscience, Film Studies, Public Health and African American Studies; and an increased emphasis on Experiential Learning through internships, service learning, student research and study abroad.
- An enhanced physical plant with new and improved facilities including the new science building, the expanded Life Sports Center, new residence halls and a renovated Seegers Union and Parents Plaza. Projects underway now include an expansion to Hillel House and new rehearsal space for the performing arts.
- More endowed scholarships and more funds dedicated to financial aid so that we can ensure that young men and women who want to be Muhlenberg students, can be Muhlenberg students – regardless of their financial situation.
In addition, Muhlenberg’s culture of philanthropy has also grown in three key areas:
- To date, nearly 60% of Muhlenberg’s faculty and staff have made gifts to the Talents Campaign.
- Parent giving has reached $961,644, up 58% – and counting – from the last fund year’s final tally.
- The Board of Trustees agreed to a “10-10 Plan” in the fall, in which Trustees committed to increasing their Muhlenberg Fund support by 10% for this fiscal year and next year!
As impressive as those achievements are, we must not lose sight of the fact that this campaign, at its heart, is not about programs and buildings, but about what is learned and gained within those programs, within those classroom walls, within those off-campus experiences at local internships or a study abroad experience in a foreign country across the globe. Realize this: the kind of work that goes on at Muhlenberg every day changes lives for the better – and not just the lives of our students.
Muhlenberg students have made an impact – on the relief effort in Haiti and a hundred other causes just as dire, just as urgent, in our local communities and around the world. Our students aren’t just educated to find a job; they’re educated to think, to problem-solve, to use their Muhlenberg experience to make the world a better place – to lead the effort to make the world a better place.
Now is the time for all of us – alumni, parents and friends – to pull together as members of the Muhlenberg family and make a final gift to the Talents Campaign. Take this opportunity to make an online gift now, or call 800-859-2243 and make a gift over the phone. Don’t put it off. Remember that your gift, no matter the size, will make an impact not only on lives of our students, but on the lives of thousands of people we’ll never even meet. Join us and make your gift today. Thanks so much for your support!
Tammy Bormann '83
Jeffrey R. Porphy ’89