We thought you might be interested in a sampling of Muhlenberg alums and the role of the arts in their lives.
- Philadelphia composer Andrea Clearfield ’82 was the recipient of Muhlenberg’s 2012 Alumni Achievement Award in the Arts. While at the ‘Berg, she studied with her mentor, composer Margaret Garwood, and met “my dearest friend,” Jeannette Ickovics, who received an honorary degree from Muhlenberg last May.
- After graduating from Muhlenberg, mezzo-soprano Selena Moretz ’02 obtained a Master of Music from the Boston Conservatory. She recently premiered the role of the Governess in Thomas Pasatieri’s newest opera, God Bless Us Everyone, with Dicapo Opera Theater in New York City, and last season she sang the alto soloist in the world premiere of Edward Thompson’s Through all Generations (Psalm 150). Selena will sing our Alumni Recital on Saturday, September 22, at 4 pm in Recital Hall.
- Sara Schmidtchen Phillips ’04 sings with Essential Voices USA, currently in residence with the New York Pops at Carnegie Hall; works for Urban Assembly, serving schools in underprivileged areas of NYC; and cares for 18-month-old Connor.
- Deanna Howarth ’04 holds a PhD from Duke and works as a postdoctoral research associate at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She plays clarinet with 3 ensembles in NYC: the 40-member Manhattan Wind Ensemble, founded in 2007; Columbia Summer Winds, formed in 2002 and playing free outdoor concerts in Manhattan in July and August; and the Doctor’s Orchestral Society of New York, now in its 75th season – in a recent concert the group performed the Dvorak cello concerto with Juilliard student Michael Katz as soloist. As Deanna says, “I can’t say I ever thought I’d be ‘backing up’ a Juilliard grad!”
- After graduating from the University of Connecticut Law School, Jared Fine ’06 began working at Goodwin Procter, a law firm based in Boston. He is a 3rd year corporate associate, working mostly with technology and startup companies. Jared tells us, “I’ve been playing a lot of guitar, and I play my sax every now and again, too.”
- Eric Brower ’10 is the Marketing Associate for Center City Opera Theater in Philadelphia. He built their new website, www.operatheater.org, and plays bass in the orchestra for their productions.
- Representative of our alums who are in graduate school are Karen Uslin ’04, Jeff Williams ’06, Ally Wente ’09, and Tori Ahrens ’11 who are studying musicology, vocal performance and pedagogy, music theory, and ethnomusicology, respectively.