School Enrollment Checklist

Forms can be completed on eBenefits

Read all instructions before completing. A copy should be printed out and given to the School Certifying Official (SCO).

  • Veteran (Spouse or Child) (Student) determines eligibility. 
    They contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.  They visit the GI Bill® web site for benefit comparison information.  The student must consider all chapter benefit options before making a decision on which benefit to apply for.  If student is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) and another chapter benefit, they must understand the implications of applying for one or the other.  Application for a specific benefit may be irrevocable.  School Certifying Officials (SCO) can provide basic benefit information but cannot make the decision for students.

  • Veteran (Spouse or Child) applies for Veterans Education Benefits.
    • Veterans who did not use benefits previously:  VA Form 22-1990
      • Provide a copy of DD From 214, member copy 4; orz
      • Notice Of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384) (if required)
    • Dependent who did not use benefits previously:  VA Form 22-5490z
      • Apply using veteran’s file number, not SSN
    • Spouse or Child who received transferred benefits:  VA Form 22-1990E
      • Provide a copy of transferability paperwork from the DoD web site
    • Spouse or Child applying for Fry Scholarship:  VA Form 22-5490
  • Students who previously used benefits at another school or in another training program.
    • Veteran:  VA Form 22-1995
    • Dependent:  VA Form 22-5495
    • Spouse or Child who received transferred benefits:  VA From 22-1995
    • Spouse or Child receiving Fry Scholarship:  VA From 22-1995
  • Student completes the application process at the school.  The application fee is not paid by VA.

  • The School Certifying Official (SCO) must be notified when the application process has been completed and the student has registered for classes.  The SCO cannot certify enrollment to VA until the student has been accepted to the school AND registered for classes.  Students may only register for classes that apply to their degree/certificate/diploma program in accordance with the school’s catalog.  SCO certifies enrollment in VA-ONCE.

  • Student establishes a premium login on eBenefits at
    GI Bill® is a registered trademark attribution of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available to the official U.S. government Web site at:

  • Student obtains Official copies of transcripts from previous schools and/or military service and provides them to the school so they can be evaluated for credit for prior training.

  • Student applies for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  All veterans and dependents should apply for financial aid.  Veterans education benefits are no longer considered when determining Title IV financial aid.

  • If student applies for Federal Tuition Assistance (TA), they must provide a copy of their approved TA document to the School Certifying Official (SCO) and the student account/bursar’s office as soon as they receive it.  TA is considered federal funding and must be considered when the SCO determines actual net cost for Chapter 33 benefits.

  • If the student is receiving National Guard Education Assistance Program (EAP) funds, they must notify your School Certifying Official (SCO) and student account/bursar’s office each term/semester they receive an award letter (found on the PHEAA web site).

  • Students must notify the School Certifying Official of ALL changes in their enrollment status ASAP.  SCOs must report all enrollment changes to the VA.  (See last bullet.)

  • When the student receives a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) or a Benefits Award Letter from VA, they should provide a copy to the School Certifying Official immediately.  A CoE is not needed to register for classes and is not necessary for the School Certifying Official to certify enrollment but the SCO does need a copy when the student receives it.

  • After the student has received a benefits award letter, they must verify their enrollment monthly on WAVE the last of the day of each month at  (Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607) (Not required for Chapters 33 and 35).

  • Students should contact VA with payment questions:  1-888-442-4551 or use “Submit A Question” on the GI Bill® web site (

  • Students must keep their address current with your School Certifying Official and VA.  To change their address with VA, they call 1-888-442-4551 or change it on WAVE or eBenefits.  Students must keep their direct deposit information current with VA.  Students update direct deposit information on WAVE, eBenefits, or call 1-877-838-2778.

  • Students must be aware that if they drop or withdraw from classes before the end of a term/semester, they may be in an overpayment status and VA may require them to pay back tuition, fees, and monthly housing allowance funds they received prorated for the period they did not complete classes.  VA will determine the overpayment, not the School Certifying Official.  Student debt will be to the VA.  Students must comply ASAP with the instructions in any debt letter they receive.

To request information click here, or to schedule an appointment with an advisor, email us at  or call us at 484-664-3300.