|• Fall 2002||Magazine Archive & Search • Muhlenberg Home|
Richard Lorenz died of natural causes last year, shortly before September 11, 2001. Richard was a small-town Pennsylvania kid who came to Muhlenberg in 1970 planning to be a doctor, but transformed himself at the ’Berg and discovered a love of art in the process.
In his sophomore year, Richard was elected editor-in-chief of the Muhlenberg Weekly, a position he used to emphasize the arts and the extreme lack of appropriate facilities on campus. At the time plays were held in the Garden Room, and the art department was housed in a converted dining room. His advocacy identified the great need for increased funding and modern arts facilities. This urgent need led to construction of the Philip Johnson Arts Center in 1976, now the Baker Center for the Arts.
After Muhlenberg, Richard moved to San Francisco, where he became a leading figure in the arts community, holding high-level positions at a number of prestigious museums and galleries. He developed an outstanding reputation as a writer on the arts, an art conservator and restorer and as a professional photographer. Through his advocacy of the arts at Muhlenberg, his high status in the arts community and generous contributions to the College, Richard Lorenz helped transform our College into a nationally recognized educational facility for theatre and the arts.
If you are on campus any time soon, be sure to
stop by the Martin Art Gallery and view the exhibition “Women
Artists: Past & Present,” which will run through January 17,
2003. Included in this show is this image from the Martin Art Gallery’s
own collection, Imogen Cunningham’s, “Magnolia Blossom,”
1925, gelatin silver print. The photograph was a gift to the College
from the late Richard Lorenz ‘74. The Martin
Art Gallery is open to the public on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays,
and Saturdays from noon to 9 p.m. For more information, visit the Gallery’s
Web site at www.muhlenberg.edu/cultural/gallery.
|previous page||CONTENTS||next page|