About Workday Student – Frequently Asked Questions
What is Workday Student?
- Workday is an enterprise application that leverages a modern technology platform that adapts to the needs of higher education.
- Workday provides a useful, modern software solution under one easy to configure application.
- Workday Student is the third Workday module Muhlenberg is implementing. It is Workday’s student information system offering.
Why are we moving away from Capstone?
- Capstone has been in place for many decades at Muhlenberg and has become functionally and technically dated, thereby making it increasingly difficult to adapt to today’s institutional and compliance requirements.
- Capstone is built on an old language called COBOL and has been heavily customized by the vendor to meet Muhlenberg's needs. This adds a layer of complexity that must be continuously addressed whenever updates or changes are made. Workday has been developed using current programming languages, and while we will not be able to customize Workday, we will be able to configure it in ways to support our programs.
- Workday offers a simplified service delivery model whereby major updates are delivered to customers twice a year. As opposed to being hosted on campus, the Workday application is hosted within the Workday Cloud. In addition, integrations can be developed with Workday and other campus applications using an open, standards-based application programming interface
What is the difference between customization and configuration?
- Capstone was built for Muhlenberg to respond to the unique needs of the larger academic audience. Workday offers a configurable business process framework that can be modified and extended. Unlike customization platforms that require coding, the business process framework prevents changes from being made to the system that will disrupt Workday's ability to offer updates in the future.
What are some of the benefits of Workday?
- Workday enables 24/7 access to information over a secure network, except for planned downtime, allowing for self-service functionality by allowing access to their information privately from any computer or mobile device with internet access
- Create, manage, and maintain courses—including the attributes and the taxonomy for IPEDS reporting—using one easy-to-use curriculum management system.
- Let students view, access courses, and register on their preferred device.
- Define your students’ academic requirements, assess their achievements, and report their progress to help guide students on their journey to graduation.
Why was Workday chosen over other possible Vendors?
- Workday has made a name as an industry leader in HCM and Finance.
- Gartner, a leading research and advisory company, named Workday as one of the leaders for Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud HCM Suites for 100+ employee enterprises, alongside other industry leaders Oracle and SAP. Download the report here: Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud HCM Suites for 1,000+ Employee Enterprises
What Institutions are currently using Workday Student?
- Four Institutions are currently live: Wellesley, Bentley, California College of the Arts, & Indian River State College
- Seven Institutions that we know are implementing/evaluating Workday Student: Babson, Bowdoin, Furman, Haverford, Northampton Community College, Simmons, Tallahassee Community College.
When is Workday Student scheduled to go Live at Muhlenberg?
- Workday Student is scheduled to go Live September 01, 2021
- Fall 2020 (Academic Units & Levels, Student Core, Program of Study Profiles,
- Spring 2021 (Advising, Registration) - This is probably the first time faculty will be actively going in and using Workday – training will occur in January or late 2020
- Summer 2021 (Payments, Cashiering Integration)
How will we be communicated with, trained, and engaged regarding Workday Student?
- The Workday@Muhlenberg Program will continue to engage the Muhlenberg community in several different ways: auditorium-style sessions, email, live demonstrations, training sessions, functionality and update communications.
Where can I receive information or provide feedback on the Workday Student Program?
- For the latest updates and information on the program or to provide feedback, you are encouraged to visit this Workday@Muhlenberg website or email the Workday Student Team at Workdaystudent@muhlenberg.edu
What is our strategy for the successful implementation of Workday Student?
- Engage the right people in the right way throughout the Program.
- Include members of the Muhlenberg community in the Program by:
- Communicating early and often to ensure that Muhlenberg faculty and staff are aware of the objectives and implementation status of the workstreams, as well as to understand how they can become involved.
- Leverage community opinions and feedback to shape the Program and improve the overall quality of the implementation.
- Develop a change network consisting of change champions – individuals across the institution that will advocate for the change.