Fair Use Rationale (example)
Though this image is subject to copyright, the U.S. fair use laws cover its use because:
- It illustrates an educational article about the album from which the cover illustration was taken.
- The image is used as the primary means of visual identification of the subject in question.
- The use of the cover will not affect the value of the original work or limit the copyright holder's rights or ability to distribute the original. In particular, copies of the image could not be used to make illegal copies of the album artwork on another CD.
- It is a low-resolution image.
- The image is only a small portion of the commercial product.
- It is not replaceable with an uncopyrighted or freely copyrighted image of comparable educational value.