Health Center

Frequently Asked Questions for New Students


Q:  Do I need to complete any health forms?
A:  All incoming students must complete health forms by July 1. The forms include medical history questions, physical exam, immunization records, and health insurance information. The health forms can be found on the following page:

Q:  If I had a physical exam in the past year, do I need another one?
A:  The college requires a physical exam within 12 months prior to the first day of class.

Q:  If my physical exam is scheduled after July 1, what should I do? 
A:  If your physical is scheduled before August, please mail the entire health form to Health Services after your physical date; you do not need to notify Health Services.  If your physical exam is scheduled in August, please call Health Services (484-664-3199). To avoid any delays in moving into your residence hall, please make sure your health form and proof of health insurance is complete prior to move-in day.

Q:  If I need an air conditioner for medical reasons or have another special housing request for medical reasons, what should I do?
A:  If you need central air conditioning or have another special housing request, please refer to the Special Housing Request process found on this website: 
You will need to submit the special housing request form and medical documentation to the Office of Disability Services.  You will be notified by the Office of Disability Services on the status of your request.

For requests to use window air conditioner units, please refer to the college’s Air Conditioner Policy found on this website:   
You will need to submit medical documentation to support your request for use of a window AC unit to Health Services.  You will be notified by the Office of Residential Services when your request has been approved to use window air conditioner unit.     

Q:  I received a meningococcal vaccine before the age of 16 years.  Do I need to receive another meningococcal vaccine?
A:  Yes. Students need at least one dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine at ≥ 16 years of age.

Q:  Does the college have a student health insurance policy for major medical?
A:  No.  The college does not offer a major medical health insurance policy. The College does require that all students have their own individual health insurance coverage.

Q:  When is the Health Center open, what services are provided, and is there a cost?
A. While classes are in session during the fall and spring semesters, Health Services is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  The Center is staffed by full-time registered nurses, with physician services two hours daily.  Health Services provides primary care services and refers students to appropriate specialists and outside health care facilities when appropriate.  There is a nominal fee for certain procedures, tests, and medications; however, routine visits are free.

Q:  How are health care services provided when Health Services is closed?
A:  During the fall and spring semesters while classes are in session, Health Services has a licensed nurse (RN) available for consultation regarding health care emergencies when the Center is closed.  The student should contact Campus Safety who will in turn contact the staff member on-call.  The "on-call" RN will assist the student in securing health services if necessary.

Q:  Who may receive health care services and where is the Health Center located?
A:  Health Services is located in the Life Sports Center, 1st floor.  Services are offered to any full-time traditional Muhlenberg College student who has a completed Muhlenberg College Health Form on file.

Q:  How are Prescription Medications obtained?
A:  If a student needs to have medication filled from a pharmacy and he/she does not have transportation to the pharmacy, the student may bring his/her prescription and insurance prescription card to the Center.  Health Services will assist the student in establishing an account with a local pharmacy.  The Center staff will then fax the prescription to the local pharmacy, which will then deliver the medication to the Health Center. A nurse will email the student to pick-up the medication when it is delivered to Health Services.

Q:  What if I need allergy injections or other special services?
A:  Students receiving allergy injections may bring the serum and current schedules to Health Services where the serum will be stored and administered in accordance with the schedule provided by their physicians.  Injections are administered only during the physician hours of Health Services. A nominal fee is charged for the injection.  Other services may be arranged through discussion with the Director of Health Services.

Q:  How do students get to off-campus medical appointments?
A:  Within the city limits of Allentown, transportation may be arranged for freshmen students by contacting the Health Center staff, who will then coordinate transportation through Campus Safety for off-campus appointments. 

Q:  May a parent call Health Services?
A:  A parent may always call Health Services to report his/her concerns or provide further information regarding a student.  However, Health Services staff will not share health care information or office visits with a parent without the explicit permission of the student except in specific instances.  The specific instances include life-threatening situations or when the student is a danger to self or a danger to others. Please see our confidentiality policy