Frequently Asked Questions

I don’t have a CapStone password or the one I had disappeared. How do I get a new one?

If you do not have a valid password, you must come to the Office of the Registrar with your ID.  We will reset your password so that you may enter the online system.  If you are currently studying away from campus, contact the Office to identify an alternate means to reset your password.

What’s an Enrollment Verification and how do I get one?

An Enrollment Verification is used by insurance companies, loan agencies, businesses, etc. to prove that you are an enrolled student.  At Muhlenberg there are three ways to get an Enrollment Verification.

  1. Students may print their own Enrollment Verifications. Sign in to the school’s secure online site (CapStone), click on the link to Student Self-Serve, and follow the directions.
  2. Contact the National Student Clearinghouse to provide a verification.
  3. Complete and submit an Enrollment Verification form to the Office of the Registrar.

Who is my Advisor and when should I see him/her?

The Dean of Academic Life assigns each first-year student a Faculty Advisor after June Advising.  These advisors are typically assigned according to the First-Year Seminar that is registered.  When the student declares a major field of study, the department chair or program director will assign an advisor from within the department/program. The student may also request a particular professor to be his or her advisor. This request may be granted as long as both the requested professor and the department chair/ program director agree to such an arrangement. Department Chairs, Program Directors, and the Registrar oversee the reassignment of advisees from faculty who are on sabbatical, other leaves, or have left the College.  Advising is a vital and on-going enterprise at Muhlenberg.  It should not occur only when registration materials are issued and you need an approval.  Be in regular contact with your advisor.  S/he is critical to your experience here at the College.  You may find out who your Advisor is by logging in to CapStone Online, going to Directory Information and choosing Advising Information from the drop down list.

When is Registration?

Registration occurs in November (for spring) and in April (for fall).  More specific information is available on the Office of the Registrar web site.

What is a registration hold?  Do I have one?  How do I get rid of it?

A registration hold indicates that you will not be permitted to register because you have an outstanding obligation, financial (tuition balances, parking or library fines, equipment, simplex or fire safety violation bills) or otherwise, to the College.  You can check the Financial Records section of CapStone Online to view your status or stop by the Office of the Registrar to find out if a hold has been placed on your records.  In addition, notices are regularly sent to you about your obligations here at the College by the appropriate offices.  DO NOT IGNORE THEM! Outstanding obligations should be resolved with the appropriate College office (Athletics, Campus Safety, Controller, Dean of Students, Library, Residential Services) prior to registration.

How do I register online?

Instructions for registering online are available in a booklet in the Registrar's Office and your department major office.  They are also available on the Registrar's web site under the Registration Menu item.

What happens if I miss my registration time?

Your opportunity to register begins at the time designated in the registration table.  It will not end until the add/drop period concludes each semester.  So, if you cannot register exactly at your start time, just do it as soon after your time as you can. 

What should I do if the courses I wanted are already fully enrolled (closed)?

First, see if you can substitute an alternate section of the same course. The meeting times or the instructor may not be the same, but the objectives and the subject matter definitely will be.  Next, consider the alternate courses you listed.  Finally, if you feel you must have a particular course, visit the offering department.  The department may have started a waiting list or they may be able to adjust enrollment limits where circumstances warrant.

What do I need to do to add or drop a course?

You can change your course schedule any time after you register until the add/drop period concludes.  Consult the academic calendar for the exact dates each semester.  Students may add and drop classes using online registration. No permission is needed unless there is a problem with the course you want to add (i.e. closed, missing pre-req, etc.)

Will I be dropped from courses I don’t attend?

No.  An instructor MAY request that students not attending the first meeting of a course be dropped to make room for other students waiting to add, but non-attendance drops are not automatic.  If you are dropped for non-attendance from any course, the Office of the Registrar will formally notify you.

Can I take courses at schools other than Muhlenberg?

Yes. Make sure you get prior approval for each school and the course(s) you wish to take. You need the Transfer Course Authorization form which you can get online or in the Registrar’s Office. Take the form, the course description(s), and the syllabus to the appropriate department chair for approval.  Make sure to send your official transcript when you are done with the course.  C- or better is required for transfer.

When can I get my grades?

Your grades will be available approximately 2 working days following the deadline for grades. You can view your grades Online.

How do I cross-register a course?

You may request to cross-register a course through the LVAIC web site.  The Registrar's Office can help you if you are having problems. You may attend Lehigh University, DeSales University, Cedar Crest College, Moravian College, or Lafayette College.  Your advisor must approve the coursework.  Both the credit and the grade will be counted in your Muhlenberg record.

How do I order a transcript?

First, we need your signature!  If on campus, stop by the Registrar’s Office and complete the Transcript Request form. Students are also able to order a transcript online.  Go to the Registrar's web site and look under "Transcripts" for information.  Official transcripts cost $5.00 per transcript. We can mail it or we can release it to you in a sealed envelope. If you are off-campus, we still need your signature. You may get a copy of the Transcript Request form online which you may fax to us at (484) 664-3707 or mail to Muhlenberg College, Office of the Registrar, 2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104