2017-2018 Feminist Collective
The purpose of The Feminist Collective is to raise awareness about the ways in which systems of power and inequality in relation to gender inform our campus community and the world at large as well as to provide a safe space for its membership. More specifically:
- The Feminist Collective is a collective, which means, regardless of the power structures of the institution, we function collectively. No one’s voice will be louder or more important than another’s, regardless of a member’s position or seniority. Collectivism is founded on the principle that any type of hierarchy can function in a damaging and marginalizing way. Thus, our collective deviates from normative bureaucratic organization and all functions of the feminist collective occur with a focus on shared responsibility and communal interest.
- The Feminist Collective aims to focus on ways in which oppression is intersectional and the ways in which race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity and expression, religion, class, sexuality, nationality, ability and other identity markers inform our experiences.
- Feminism is not composed of a singular universal theory. It consists of sets of theories used to explain and counteract sexism and the intersectional experience of oppression. We will not privilege one ideology over others - a multiplicity of understandings of what feminism is and should be is essential to the experience of collectivity and the mission of our organization.
- The Feminist Collective, alongside the other Multicultural Center organizations, aims to be an active part of the multicultural community on campus and to encourage and engage in open dialogues and action with other groups on campus with the aim of eradicated oppression and inequality.
- The Feminist Collective aims to provide mentorship for feminists on Muhlenberg’s campus.
- The Feminist Collective aims to contextualize and translate feminist theories into programming on Muhlenberg’s campus
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.co
Email us at: feminist.collective2400@gmail.