Honors Opportunities and Procedures
Qualified students within the Department of Accounting, Business, and Economics have the opportunity to apply to graduate with honors in accounting, business, economics or finance. In order to graduate with honors in any of these majors the student must complete the following requirements:
- Student meets with potential Honors Project Advisor during spring semester of the junior year, if possible.
- Student submits an Honors Project Proposal to desired honors Project Advisor by the end of the junior year, if possible. The form of the Proposal is agreed upon by the Advisor and Honors Student.
- Student maintains a college GPA of 3.7 or higher.
- Full-time faculty members of the Program (A, B, or E) within which the student is applying for honors accept the student as an honors candidate by then first week of the fall semester of the student’s senior year. (To allow time to register the course.)
- Honors Project Advisor informs ABE faculty of the Honors Project.
- Student enrolls in appropriate “Independent Study/Research” course for .5 credits in both fall and spring semesters of his/her senior year.
- ACT 970 Accounting Independent Study/Research
- BUS 970 Business Independent Study/Research
- ECN 970 Economics Independent Study/Research
- Student and advisor meet regularly (generally weekly) throughout both semesters.
- Student averages an A- or better over the two research courses, as graded by the Honors Project Advisor.
- Student prepares a research paper according to the requirements stipulated by the Honors Project Advisor.
- Student presents his/her project at a departmental seminar in April.
- E-mail invitations are sent to department members and others who may be interested in the student’s work, inviting them to attend the presentation.
- Student distributes a copy of his/her final paper to each faculty member who is interested in attending the presentation.
- Presentation is usually one hour in length – approximately 30 minutes of presentation and 30 minutes of discussion with faculty.