Detailed job descriptions are created in PDF formats, which require Adobe Acrobat Reader to display. If you do not have this product, please install a free copy.
Please follow the application instructions specific to each of the positions below. For more information about the College, visit our web site at http://www.muhlenberg.edu.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to valuing and enhancing diversity and encourages applications from individuals who can contribute to the diversity of our community.
- Assistant Director, Admission (Job #1646) - Muhlenberg College seeks energetic, articulate, thoughtful candidates to fill an Assistant Director, Admission opening. The successful candidate will plan and execute recruitment travel in specified geographic regions, interview prospective students, and evaluate applications. Weekend and evening work is required, as is a valid driver’s license and clear driving record. Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Candidates must have at least a Bachelor of Arts degree. An appreciation for and understanding of the value of the small, residential liberal arts experience is essential. One or more years of relevant work experience preferred. Stamina, a well-developed work ethic, and a sense of humor are also important.
Founded in 1848, Muhlenberg College is a highly selective, coeducational, residential college of liberal arts and sciences located in eastern Pennsylvania’s picturesque Lehigh Valley, one hour north of Philadelphia and 90 minutes west of New York City. The College currently enrolls roughly 2,200 full-time day students and has enjoyed consistently strong applicant pools.
Click here for full job description. To apply, email a single pdf document including a cover letter specifically addressing your interest in this position, your resume, and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com. Please be sure to include both your last name and Job #1646 in the “subject” line of your email. For best consideration, apply by August 5, 2016. Resume review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
- Assistant Director of Annual Giving (Job #1652)– as part of the Annual Giving team, this professional assists in raising funds to support the current operations of the College. Primary responsibilities include management and supervision of fundraising activity related to four milestone Reunion Classes, annual day of giving initiatives, young alumni philanthropy and assisting with management of a Class Fund Chair network. The incumbent maintains a portfolio of 200 prospects capable of making a leadership annual gift to the College, and assists in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of Muhlenberg Fund gifts. Significant travel is required. Bachelor’s degree required, ability to work collaboratively with volunteers and volunteer groups essential. Excellent writing, communication and organization skills required. Click here for full job description.
The starting salary for this position is $43,000 - $47,500, depending upon background and fundraising experience. To apply, email resume, letter of interest, and names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing Job #1652 and your last name in the Subject line of your email. Applicant review begins immediately and will continue until the position has been filled. E.O.E.
- Associate Director, Annual Giving (Job #1620)- Reporting to the Assistant VP, Annual Giving & Advancement Services, the Associate Director is responsible for raising funds from alumni and other donors in support of the current operations of the College. The Associate Director is responsible for sustaining, stewarding and growing participation and giving from the College’s annual donors who have the potential for leadership and major gifts. This position supports the strategy developed in conjunction with the Assistant VP and the Annual Giving team, including the development and implementation of a peer-to-peer solicitation volunteer program, reunion and class giving, as well as affinity and religious-based fund-raising. Experience with face-to-face solicitation is preferred, as the Associate Director will maintain a portfolio of 250 prospects capable of making a leadership gift and will be expected to complete 15-18 prospect visits per month.
A bachelor's degree is required, as is experience (three to five years) in annual giving. The successful candidate will have the ability to work in a self-directed fashion while serving as a member of a highly collaborative development team. Muhlenberg College offers an excellent benefit package, including tuition scholarship plans for dependents after two years of service. Click here for full job description.
If you find that your background and experience have prepared you for this position, apply by emailing a single pdf including your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please be sure that the subject line of your email includes both your last name and "Job #1620." Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
- Director, Employer Engagement (Job #1653)- Muhlenberg College Career Center seeks a Director of Employer Engagement, responsible for developing and implementing a strategy for external employer and industry partnerships as well as expanding creative opportunities for employers to engage with students and the Muhlenberg community. This position manages all employer activity including, but not limited to, on-campus recruiting, job posting processes and procedures, employer relationship management system, and employer events. The successful candidate will utilize all of these relationships to assist in attaining concurrent goals of strengthening employer and industry partnerships to create powerful outcomes for Muhlenberg students and alumni.
Required qualifications include a Master’s Degree in higher education, business, education or related field; and 5 to 8 years of relevant experience in career services, employer relations, higher education, recruiting or related field. Demonstrated ability to create and implement employer relations strategy for a career services operation and experience with Symplicity career services platform preferred. To view the full job description Click here for full job description.
To apply, email your letter of interest, resume and names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include both your last name and Job #1653 in the subject line of your email. Candidate review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, apply by September 8, 2016. E.OE.
- Gift Accounting Specialist (Job #1643) – Reporting to the Director of Advancement Services, the Gift Accounting Specialist is responsible for managing donor contributions within Advancement and allied departments on the Muhlenberg College campus. This position is part of a two-person gift accounting team that ensures all contributions to Muhlenberg College are accurately posted in the advancement database, reconciled with bank deposits and acknowledged in accordance with IRS regulations, Donor Bill of Rights and College standards. The candidate must be capable of working independently with limited supervision. This job requires a detail oriented person with a high degree of accuracy regarding entry of data. Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required; experience working with an advancement database such as Millennium, Raiser’s Edge or Advance is preferred. Knowledge in general accounting principles helpful. This is a full-time, 35 hour per week position reporting to the Director of Advancement Services. Starting salary is $2,500 - $2,575 per month, depending upon background and experience. Click here for full job description.
To apply, email cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please note both “Job #1643” and your last name in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed as received. This search has been extended.
- Student Philanthropy Coordinator (Job #1629) - Assists in building relationships and raising funds to support the current operations of the College. Manages the phonathon operation, which includes recruitment, training and supervision of student workers. Develops and implements educational programming on the importance of philanthropic support and class gifts. Bachelor’s degree required; one to two years in philanthropy or higher education experience preferred. Salary of $37,000 - $40,000 depending on background and experience. Click here for full job description.
If you find that your background and experience have prepared you for this position, apply by emailing a single pdf including your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure that the subject line of your email includes both your last name and Job #1629. Applicant review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
- Assistant Professor, Biologist - Muhlenberg College Biology Department invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position beginning August 2017. We are seeking candidates who are strongly committed to undergraduate teaching and research in a liberal arts college environment. Teaching responsibilities include an upper-level microbiology course and an upper-level course supporting the biology major or a related interdisciplinary major (e.g., biochemistry, environmental science, or public health). The successful candidate will also contribute to at least one of the following: our introductory biology sequence, a first-year seminar, a non-majors interdisciplinary cluster course, or a human difference & global engagement course. Muhlenberg College is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education. For additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to diversity and inclusion, applicants can find the latest updates to the College's Diversity Strategic Plan at this link: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/main/aboutus/president/initiatives/diversityatmuhlenberg/
Qualifications include: a Ph.D., a record of excellent teaching, and an active research program that can involve undergraduate students. Post-doctoral research or similar experience expected. We are especially interested in applications from candidates with experience in emerging areas of study such as the microbiome, host-microbe interactions, pathogenesis mechanisms, or microbial evolution and ecology. Muhlenberg is a highly selective liberal arts college located in southeastern PA within commuting distance of the New York City and Philadelphia areas.
Applicants should submit electronic copies of a letter of application that includes an explanation of how the candidate will contribute to Muhlenberg's efforts to become a more diverse and inclusive community, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching and research interests, evidence of teaching excellence, and sample publications. These and three confidential letters of reference must be sent to email@example.com.
Chair of the search is Dr. Marten Edwards, Biology Department, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA 18104. For detailed application information visit http://www.muhlenberg.edu/main/academics/biology/microbiologist Review of applications will begin October 3, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.
- Dispatcher, Part-time (Job #1649) - Department of Campus Safety/Police seeks a part-time dispatcher for the 12:00 a.m. - 8 a.m. shift, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. Responsibilities include prioritizing calls and dispatching officers accordingly, keeping complete and accurate logs of a variety of activities, monitoring computer systems (CCTV, card key system), monitoring police and fire calls on scanner, answering calls to the main College phone number, and transferring calls as appropriate. Click here for full job description.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and names/contact info of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting both Job #1649 and your last name in the "Subject" line of your email. For best consideration, apply by August 22, 2016.
- Systems Analyst (Job #1645) - Office of Information Technology seeks to fill a full-time Systems Analyst position. The qualified candidate will be self-motivated and possess excellent oral and written communication skills. Responsibilities include capturing business needs and system requirements through collaborative end-user discussions, and designing, developing and documenting systems for use by the various administrative and academic departments in a project-oriented, team environment.
Qualifications: Relevant experience in an enterprise environment, preferably in higher education, for a minimum of four years. Experience writing and maintaining applications that interface with SQL Server and other database management systems. Applicant should possess a solid understanding of Transact SQL, Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services/Reporting Services and Visual Basic. Linux experience a plus. Must have demonstrated ability to stay aware of the latest technologies and trends. Click here for full job description.
For best consideration, apply by August 31, 2016, by emailing cover letter, resume and names/contact information of three references to email@example.com, Please include both your last name and "Job #1645” in the Subject line of your email. Application review begins immediately and will continue until the position has been filled. E.O.E.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION & ATHLETICS
- Life Guard – PT - 3-4 mornings per week 6-9am;occasional afternoons. Additional hours may be available during college breaks. Must have current Lifeguard certification including CPR, First Aid and AED. $12/ hour. Contact Corey Goff via email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please).
- Custodian Full-time– (6:00am – 2:30pm, Monday – Friday) performing housekeeping duties in campus buildings. Custodial experience preferred. Send resume or apply in person to Muhlenberg College, HR Office, Job #1644, 2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104. EOE. Click here for full job description.
- Custodian PT- Weekends (6:00am - 2:30pm) academic year. Custodial experience preferred. Send resume or apply in person to Muhlenberg College, HR Office, Job # 1510, 2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104. EOE. Click here for job description.
- Grounds Manager (Job #1647)- Immediate opening at Muhlenberg College for Grounds Manager, a full-time, exempt position. The Grounds Manager oversees and coordinates the work of a grounds crew of 12+ individuals responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the campus grounds, athletic fields, and College vehicles. Associate's or Bachelor's degree in horticulture, landscape architecture, park management, business administration, or other related field required. The successful candidate will have at least five years of experience managing grounds for a large institutional facility, golf course or municipal park, including experience with snow and ice removal. Experience on a college campus is a plus. Salary of $55 - $65K depending upon background and experience. Click here for full job description.
To apply, email email@example.com, noting both Job #1647 and your last name in the "Subject" line of the email. Attach your resume, cover letter addressing how your background meets the qualifications for the position, and the names/contact information for three references who can address your ability to perform the job. Apply by August 12, 2016 for best consideration. E.O.E. We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Muhlenberg College located in Allentown, Pennsylvania, seeks a Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (“Provost”). Founded in 1848, Muhlenberg is a selective residential, undergraduate, coeducational, private liberal arts college. The institution enrolls approximately 2,200 full-time students in its traditional undergraduate program and nearly 200 additional adult learners in the Wescoe School of Continuing Education. With an endowment of approximately $237 million and annual budget of approximately $130 million, the College is known for its academic rigor, faculty who are committed to their students, and a close sense of community.
As the chief academic officer of the College, the Provost reports to the President and is a key member of the President’s administrative cabinet. The Provost’s team includes the Dean of the Wescoe School; the Dean of the College for Academic Life; the Dean of Global Education; the Dean of Institutional Assessment and Academic Planning; the College Registrar; the Director of Trexler Library; the Associate Dean of Digital Learning; the Associate Dean of Diversity Initiatives; the heads of 19 academic departments (encompassing 170 full-time faculty); and the Directors of three centers and institutes, and three honors programs.
This is an opportune moment for Muhlenberg. Over the past decade, the College has been on an upward trajectory—strengthening the academic quality of its student body, increasing its number of applicants, wrapping up its most successful capital campaign, enhancing both student and faculty diversity, and completing many capital construction projects. The new Provost will work with the President, senior colleagues, the faculty and the entire College community to further the impact and reputation of the institution.
Muhlenberg seeks a strategic thinker who will champion all aspects of the educational enterprise at the College. He or she will enhance academic rigor, nurture the scholarly activities of faculty, foster creativity in the curriculum, shape the long-range academic strategic plan for the College, and strengthen Muhlenberg’s identity, diversity and reputation. The Provost will allocate resources to support existing core programs and pave the way for new ones that will help Muhlenberg to thrive.
The successful candidate will have a record of proven and effective academic and administrative leadership. He or she will also possess a collaborative, communicative leadership style; administrative, budgetary, and management skills; a demonstrated commitment to diversity; an understanding of effective program assessment; and knowledge of academic technologies. An earned doctorate or other terminal degree is required, as is a record of scholarship and teaching commensurate with appointment as a full professor.
Inquiries, nominations, and/or applications (including a curriculum vitae and a letter of interest) should be directed in confidence to: Anita Tien, Vice President and Randi Alberry, Associate, Isaacson, Miller at www.imsearch.com/5772.
- Library Technology and Digital Experiences Librarian - (Job #1625) - Muhlenberg College seeks a dynamic, collegial, and enthusiastic librarian to manage and shape library technology and digital experiences through discovery, access, and information services for Trexler Library. An ALA-accredited Master's degree in library or information science, or an appropriate graduate-level degree in a computer and/or information technology field is required. Responsibilities include managing technologies that support all library functions and services; web and digital collections development; support and integration of existing and emerging library technology interfaces; and access services. Trexler Library staff also focuses on excellent customer service and a commitment to collaboration across the campus community. Depending on candidate qualifications, this position may also have supervisory responsibilities. This is an excellent opportunity for a tech-savvy librarian who is excited about sharing their expertise to enhance teaching and learning at a small, liberal arts college. Click here for full job description.
Starting salary of $57-$65K depending upon background and experience. To apply, send letter of interest, resume, and contact information for 3 references (preferably as a single pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include both your last name and Job # in the "Subject" line of your email. For best consideration, please apply by August 22, 2016. Application review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is late September.
An equal opportunity employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education. For additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to diversity and inclusion, applicants can visit the College's Diversity Strategic Plan.
Last updated: August 25, 2016