Founded in 1848, Muhlenberg College is a highly selective, coeducational, residential college of liberal arts and sciences located in eastern Pennsylvania's picturesque Lehigh Valley. The campus is about one hour north of Philadelphia, 90 minutes west of New York City and in close proximity to the Appalachian Trail. The College currently enrolls more than 2,200 full-time day students and has enjoyed steadily increasing selectivity and student quality.
Detailed job descriptions are created in PDF formats, which require Adobe Acrobat Reader to display. If you do not have this product, please install a free copy.
Please follow the application instructions specific to each of the positions below. For more information about the College, visit our web site at http://www.muhlenberg.edu.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to valuing and enhancing diversity and encourages applications from individuals who can contribute to the diversity of our community.
- Associate Director of the Muhlenberg Fund - Responsible for raising funds for The Muhlenberg Fund from alumni and other donors. Incumbent maintains a portfolio of 250 prospects capable of making leadership gifts to the College. Must work closely with other areas in the department to continuously develop beneficial relationships between constituents and the College. Travel schedule includes 15-18 prospect visits per month. Must attend major on-campus College functions including, but not limited to, Reunion and Honors Convocation as well as regional alumni event activities. Bachelor’s degree and some experience in higher education annual giving required. Strong analytical and assessment skills required including a demonstrated understanding of fundraising techniques, donor relations and stewardship. Click here for job description.
To apply, email a single pdf document including your cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note both "Job #1532" and your last name in the subject line of your email. Applicant review begins immediately and will continue until the position has been filled. E.O.E.
- Data Management and Research Assistant (Job #1536) - This is a full-time, 35 hour per week position reporting to the Director of Advancement Services. The Data Management and Research Assistant is responsible for capturing, researching, updating and summarizing biographical information in the College’s fundraising database, Millennium. Most importantly, this individual maintains and updates constituents’ biographical information in our fundraising database, conducts research on constituents using public and subscription-based information resources, and prepares written biographical summaries of constituents’ data. Additionally, this individual maintains and coordinates document imaging and expedites constituents’ hardcopy documents into digital imaged documents. This job requires extensive use of the computer and an aptitude for analytical work and attention to detail. The successful candidate will have experience and demonstrated proficiency with electronic and library research, utilizing both public and subscription-based resources. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is essential, as is the ability to understand, analyze and synthesize volumes of information to prepare concise research profiles. Experience utilizing a relational database and knowledge of fundraising is a plus. Starting salary is $2,450 - $2,550 per month, depending upon background and experience. Click here for job description and qualifications required.
To apply, email cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please note Job #1536 and your last name in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed as received. Application deadline is September 25. E.O.E. We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
THE CAREER CENTER
- Assistant Director – Immediate opening for a full-time, year-round Assistant Director in Muhlenberg College’s busy Career Center. Primary responsibilities include career counseling/advising individual students regarding career options; development and implementation of various events, workshops and programs; and conducting outreach to groups of students. Qualifications: Master's degree in student personnel, career counseling or related field required. Related professional experience, including experience working with career assessment tools required; experience using Symplicity strongly preferred. Experience in planning and marketing career planning/career development events required. The successful candidate will have a strong appreciation for and commitment to the mission of a selective liberal arts institution. Starting salary of $40-$44K depending on background and experience. Click here for full job description. To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with both "Job #1529" and your last name in the subject line. Attach a single pdf document including your cover letter, resume, and the names/contact information for at least 3 references. Application deadline is 4 p.m. October 12, 2015. Application review begins immediately and will continue until the position has been filled. E.O.E.
- Vice President, Communications - Muhlenberg College seeks an experienced communications and marketing professional to serve as the college's Vice President, Communications. The vice president will be responsible for developing and implementing a public relations, marketing and communications strategy in support of Muhlenberg's strategic plan, admissions goals and fund-raising initiatives. Reporting directly to the President, the vice president will serve as the college’s chief communications officer. The vice president will provide strategic leadership and direction for the college's communications and branding initiatives, expanding beyond local and regional constituencies and accelerating cultivation of a global outreach effort.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing leadership and direction for a professional staff consisting of Director of College Communications, Director of Digital Communications, Director of Theatre/Dance Marketing, Director and Assistant Director of Athletic Communications, half-time Radio Station Manager, full-time Assistant to the VP (support staff) and two half-time Presidential Assistants (supporting college communications and theatre/dance marketing.)
- Developing and driving a long-range communications and marketing plan to generate national and international visibility for the College.
- Acting as the primary spokesperson for the College and leading the marketing efforts of the College.
- Serving as principal resource for all major publications, advertising, public relations, and social media projects undertaken by the College.
- Supervising and exercising quality control of design, content, and functionality of the College’s website and mobile apps.
A bachelor's degree in public relations, marketing, communications or related field is required; advanced degree preferred. The successful candidate will have six to ten years of experience with responsibility for communications, marketing and public relations at a senior level; higher education experience preferred. The position requires the ability to communicate to myriad, diverse audiences in oral presentations, in print, and in digital media. Click here for full job description. To apply, please email a single pdf document including your cover letter, resume, and the names/contact information for four professional references to VPCommSearch@muhlenberg.edu by October 1, 2015. Please include both your last name and “Job #1535” in the subject line of your email.
- Mail Clerk - Immediate opening for this part-time, temporary (3 month) appointment, with potential for conversion to an on-going part-time position. Schedule is Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-noon. Some extra hours to cover for vacations/absences of other mailroom personnel. The mail clerk receives, sorts, and distributes incoming campus mail; sorts and dispatches outgoing mail. Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis, push cart full of mail, and navigate steps in buildings without elevators. Job includes picking up mail from the post office in college van. Valid driver's license and clean driving record required. Starting pay range is $11.00 - $12.25 per hour depending upon background and experience. Click here for full job description. To apply, email your cover letter, resume and names/contact info for three references to email@example.com. Please include your last name and Job #1540 in the subject line of your email.
MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE
- The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science of Muhlenberg College seeks to fill a tenure-track position in the statistical sciences at the assistant professor level to begin in the fall of 2016. A Ph.D. in Statistics is required. Muhlenberg College is a highly-selective, undergraduate institution of 2,200 students located just south of the Pocono Mountains in the Lehigh Valley, about 50 miles north of Philadelphia and 90 miles west of Manhattan. Our department has ten tenure-track lines. Muhlenberg emphasizes excellence in teaching in a student-focused, undergraduate environment. Prior full-time experience is valued. The College expects significant professional/scholarly activity, encourages student research, and requires institutional service. We also seek candidates who are ready and able to provide strong leadership in furthering statistics education and scholarship both within our department and across the College.
Apply online at https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/7755 with (1) a letter of application, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) statement of teaching experience and philosophy, (4) description of research, including short descriptions of any recent student research projects, (5) undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and (6) three confidential letters of recommendation, at least one of which addresses teaching. Candidates for this position must hold valid authorization to work in the U.S. Review of completed applications will begin November 1, 2015, and continue until the position is filled.
An equal opportunity employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education. For additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to diversity and inclusion, applicants can find the 2015 updates to the College's Diversity Strategic Plan at this link:
- Building Maintenance Mechanic - Full-time position, 2:30 p.m. – 11 p.m. shift. This is a six-month, leave replacement position. Requires operation, maintenance and repair of HVAC and building control systems as well as general plumbing, general electrical and basic carpentry work. Minimum five years experience. Click here for full job description. To apply, email your resume, cover letter and names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting both your last name and job #1537 in the subject line of your email. Alternatively, send resume or apply in person to Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew Street, Human Resources, Job # 1537,Allentown, PA 18104. EOE.
- Custodian FT– (10 pm-6:30 am) performing housekeeping duties in campus buildings. Custodial experience preferred. Send resume or apply in person to Muhlenberg College, HR Office, Job # 1509, 2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104. EOE. Click here for job description.
- Custodian PT- Weekends (6 am-2:30 pm) academic year. Custodial experience preferred. Send resume or apply in person to Muhlenberg College, HR Office, Job # 1510, 2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104. EOE. Click here for job description.
- Groundskeeper (Job #1534) - Full-time, year-round position. Primary responsibilities include grounds upkeep, moving and set-up of furniture, repair and preventive maintenance of grounds department equipment, and removal of snow and ice. Ability to lift 50+ pounds, clean driving record and valid driver’s license and satisfactory background check required. One year of experience required, 2 years of landscaping or horticulture preferred. Experience with skid steer loader, front end loaders and chainsaw a plus. Starting salary $12.15/hour. Click here for full job description. Click here for printable application form, email resume to email@example.com, or mail resume (or apply in person) to Muhlenberg College, HR Office - Job #1534, 2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104. E.O.E.
- Assistant Professor - The Department of Psychology invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in an applied area of Psychology to begin Fall 2016. Muhlenberg College is committed to hiring and supporting faculty who can contribute to our development of a culturally diverse community through their teaching, scholarship, and service. The successful candidate will be student centered and strongly committed to community-based and diversity-related teaching and research in a small liberal arts college environment. Candidates with expertise in one or more of the following are preferred: Community/Counseling psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology or Forensic Psychology. Teaching load is three courses per semester and will include courses within the candidate’s area of expertise and core courses such as introductory psychology, statistics, research methods, and courses that contribute to the College’s General Academic Goals. Qualifications include: a Doctorate in an applied area of Psychology, evidence of excellent teaching, and an active research program that will involve undergraduates. For more information about our department visit http://www.muhlenberg.edu/depts/psychology/aboutus.html. Review of materials will begin immediately. For best consideration, apply before September 30. Applicants should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching and research interests, evidence of teaching excellence, and three letters of reference to: Dr. Mark Sciutto, Department of Psychology, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104-5586. Electronic submissions can be sent to PsychJobs@muhlenberg.edu. Applicants are encouraged to combine materials into a single PDF file (references may be sent separately). Muhlenberg College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Muhlenberg College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from candidates who are committed to valuing and enhancing the diversity of its community.
Last updated: September 11, 2015