Founded in 1848, Muhlenberg College is a highly selective, coeducational, residential college of liberal arts and sciences located in eastern Pennsylvania's picturesque Lehigh Valley. The campus is about one hour north of Philadelphia, 90 minutes west of New York City and in close proximity to the Appalachian Trail. The College currently enrolls more than 2,200 full-time day students and has enjoyed steadily increasing selectivity and student quality.
Detailed job descriptions are created in PDF formats, which require Adobe Acrobat Reader to display. If you do not have this product, please install a free copy.
Please follow the application instructions specific to each of the positions below. For more information about the College, visit our web site at http://www.muhlenberg.edu.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to valuing and enhancing diversity and encourages applications from individuals who can contribute to the diversity of our community.
- Principal Gift Officer (Job #1546) – Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Development, the Principal Gift Officer will advance the mission of Muhlenberg College by developing and increasing the level of personal involvement and financial commitment of alumni, parents and friends. The incumbent will be part of an experienced and talented development team challenged with meeting and exceeding the College’s annual goals. The Principal Gift Officer manages an on-going fund raising cultivation cycle with a portfolio of 100 qualified principal gift prospects, maintaining a national travel schedule and visiting a minimum of 80 qualified prospects a year. The incumbent is expected to raise a minimum of $2M annually in commitments for College priorities. The successful candidate will have eight or more years of development/relationship building experience and be a proven self-starter. Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in the liberal arts. Must have a belief in, commitment to, and ability to clearly articulate the values and mission of Muhlenberg College. Muhlenberg offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package, including tuition scholarship plans for dependents after two years of service.
Click here for full job description. If you find that your background and experience have prepared you for this position, apply by emailing a single pdf including your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure that the subject line of your email includes both your last name and "Job #1546." Application review begins immediately. For best consideration, apply by December 21. E.O.E.
- Senior Associate Director, Annual Giving (Job #1545)- Reporting to the Assistant VP, Annual Giving & Advancement Services, the Senior Associate Director is responsible for raising funds from alumni and other donors in support of the current operations of the College. The Senior Associate Director is responsible for sustaining, stewarding and growing participation and giving from the College’s annual donors who have the potential for leadership and major gifts. This position supports the strategy developed in conjunction with the Assistant VP and the Annual Giving team, including the development and implementation of a peer-to-peer solicitation volunteer program, reunion and class giving, as well as affinity and religious-based fund-raising. Experience with face-to-face solicitation is preferred, as the Senior Associate Director will maintain a portfolio of 250 prospects capable of making a leadership gift and will be expected to complete 15-18 prospect visits per month.
A bachelor's degree is required, as is experience (three to five years) in annual giving. The successful candidate will have the ability to work in a self-directed fashion while serving as a member of a highly collaborative development team. Muhlenberg College offers an excellent benefit package, including tuition scholarship plans for dependents after two years of service. Click here for full job description. If you find that your background and experience have prepared you for this position, apply by emailing a single pdf including your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please be sure that the subject line of your email includes both your last name and "Job #1545." Application review begins immediately. For best consideration, apply by December 21. E.O.E.
- Senior Associate Director, Alumni Affairs (Job #1552) - Under the supervision of the Assistant Vice President, the Senior Associate Director will implement and assess strategies for alumni involvement, reconnection, engagement and philanthropic support. Working in a professional, proactive and energetic manner, this individual will coordinate alumni events and programs and assist in the overall management of the operations of the office. Responsibilities include expanding the existing suite of alumni programs to support increased engagement of alumni with a focus on affinity groups and the creation of an Alumni Education Program. Candidates for the Senior Associate Director of Alumni Affairs must have experience planning, implementing and evaluating the alumni relations program in concert with the strategic and advancement plans of the College. A bachelor’s degree is required; Muhlenberg alumnus/alumna strongly preferred. Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience working in Alumni Affairs, and a deep understanding of and commitment to Muhlenberg and its student and alumni body. Click here for full job description.
If your background and experience have prepared you for this opportunity, apply by emailing a single pdf including your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include both your last name and Job # 1552 in the subject line of your email. Application review begins immediately and will continue until the position has been filled. For best consideration, apply by December 29. E.O.E.
- Interim Assistant Director, Athletic Communications- This is an immediate opening for a 6-month assignment with the potential for renewal. The Interim Assistant Director will collaborate with the Director of Athletic Communications and Director of Athletics on publicity efforts for the College’s 22-sport Division III varsity intercollegiate program. Primary responsibilities will include: updating the College website and social media sites; assisting with game day operations including live streaming video and live stats; editing promotional videos; designing, writing and editing brochures, game programs and newsletters; formulating and writing feature stories on Muhlenberg athletes; and reporting results to local and regional media.
Qualifications include: bachelor’s degree, strong writing and communication skills; knowledge of StatCrew, video streaming software, video editing software, desktop publishing and social media; previous experience in sports information; solid understanding of sports and sports statistics; and a willingness to work nights and weekends. Click here for full job description.
Compensation includes a salary of $2,500 monthly plus full benefits. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, writing samples and the names and phone numbers of at least three references to:
Mike Falk, Director, Athletic Communications, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104, or email materials to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Executive Director, Career Center (Job #1551)– Reporting to the Vice President for Alumni Affairs and Career Services, The Executive Director will provide leadership for a major strategic re-invention of the Career Center, serving as an innovative, entrepreneurial change agent. This position provides strategic direction and management of all employer and alumni outreach and development efforts, career counseling and programming, and the cultivation of networks and meaningful connections for students with alumni, parents and employers. The Executive Director will cultivate and sustain collaborative relationships with faculty and other campus constituents, and utilize these relationships to assist in attaining concurrent goals of increasing and strengthening alumni engagement and helping to elevate the Career Center to a pre-eminent position among liberal arts institutions. Thorough knowledge and experience leading an organization/department that delivers career services, including career development, career counseling, career planning, recruitment, employment and internships is required. A Master’s degree in higher education, student personnel, counseling, business administration or an appropriate or related field is required, as is 5-10 years of progressively responsible experience in career service, college relations and marketing, or business experience in the field of placement. Click here for full job description.
If your background and experience have prepared you for this opportunity, apply by emailing a single pdf including your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include both your last name and Job # 1551 in the subject line of your email. Application review begins immediately and will continue until the position has been filled. For best consideration, apply by December 29. E.O.E.
- Vice President, Communications - Muhlenberg College seeks an experienced communications and marketing professional to serve as the college's Vice President, Communications. The vice president will be responsible for developing and implementing a public relations, marketing and communications strategy in support of Muhlenberg's strategic plan, admissions goals and fund-raising initiatives. Reporting directly to the President, the vice president will serve as the college’s chief communications officer. The vice president will provide strategic leadership and direction for the college's communications and branding initiatives, expanding beyond local and regional constituencies and accelerating cultivation of a global outreach effort.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing leadership and direction for a professional staff consisting of Director of College Communications, Director of Digital Communications, Director of Theatre/Dance Marketing, Director and Assistant Director of Athletic Communications, half-time Radio Station Manager, full-time Assistant to the VP (support staff) and two half-time Presidential Assistants (supporting college communications and theatre/dance marketing.)
- Developing and driving a long-range communications and marketing plan to generate national and international visibility for the College.
- Acting as the primary spokesperson for the College and leading the marketing efforts of the College.
- Serving as principal resource for all major publications, advertising, public relations, and social media projects undertaken by the College.
- Supervising and exercising quality control of design, content, and functionality of the College’s website and mobile apps.
A bachelor's degree in public relations, marketing, communications or related field is required; advanced degree preferred. The successful candidate will have six to ten years of experience with responsibility for communications, marketing and public relations at a senior level; higher education experience preferred. The position requires the ability to communicate to myriad, diverse audiences in oral presentations, in print, and in digital media. Click here for full job description. To apply, please email a single pdf document including your cover letter, resume, and the names/contact information for four professional references to VPCommSearch@muhlenberg.edu by October 1, 2015. Please include both your last name and “Job #1535” in the subject line of your email. We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
- Instructional Technologist (Job #1547)- The Instructional Technologist is a key member of the Instructional Technology & Digital Learning (IT/DL) team and part of the overarching, unified approach to client support services in the College's Office of Information Technology (OIT). The Instructional Technologist works pro-actively in a consultative role with faculty on how to effectively use technology tools in and out of the classroom. The Technologist must keep abreast of emerging trends in instructional technology. The Technologist is also the key connection to the College's Support Desk operations, coordinating comprehensive documentation, effective tutorials, and related materials. Finally, the Technologist is responsible for documentation and supplemental support on Muhlenberg's Learning Management System and classrooms. Bachelor's degree in related field and proven ability to work in team environments required. Experience with Learning Management Systems and digital learning pedagogies essential. Must be strongly committed to delivering excellent customer service. Compensation for this position includes a salary of $45,000 to $55,000 annually depending on background and experience, and an excellent benefits package, including tuition scholarship plans for dependents after two years of service.
Click here for full job description. If you find that your background and experience qualify you for this position, apply by emailing a single pdf including your cover letter, resume and names/contact info for three references to email@example.com. Please be sure that the subject line of your email includes both your last name and "Job #1547." Application review begins immediately. For best consideration, apply by December 21. E.O.E.
MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE
- The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science seeks to fill a tenure-track position in computer science at the assistant professor level to begin in the fall of 2016. A Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field is required.
Muhlenberg emphasizes excellent teaching in a student-focused, undergraduate environment. Prior full-time experience is valued. The College expects professional/scholarly activity and institutional service, and encourages student research. We also seek candidates who are ready and able to provide strong leadership in furthering computer science education and scholarship both within our department and across the College.
Apply online at https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/7927 with (1) a letter of application, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) teaching statement describing experience and philosophy, including how you create an inclusive environment to address a diverse learning community (4) research statement, including a list of any supervised student research projects, (5) undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and (6) three confidential letters of recommendation, at least one of which addresses teaching. Candidates for this position must hold valid authorization to work in the U.S. Review of completed applications will begin November 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science of Muhlenberg College seeks to fill a tenure-track position in the statistical sciences at the assistant professor level to begin in the fall of 2016. A Ph.D. in Statistics is required. Muhlenberg College is a highly-selective, undergraduate institution of 2,200 students located just south of the Pocono Mountains in the Lehigh Valley, about 50 miles north of Philadelphia and 90 miles west of Manhattan. Our department has ten tenure-track lines. Muhlenberg emphasizes excellence in teaching in a student-focused, undergraduate environment. Prior full-time experience is valued. The College expects significant professional/scholarly activity, encourages student research, and requires institutional service. We also seek candidates who are ready and able to provide strong leadership in furthering statistics education and scholarship both within our department and across the College.
Apply online at https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/7755 with (1) a letter of application, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) statement of teaching experience and philosophy, (4) description of research, including short descriptions of any recent student research projects, (5) undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and (6) three confidential letters of recommendation, at least one of which addresses teaching. Candidates for this position must hold valid authorization to work in the U.S. Review of completed applications will begin November 1, 2015, and continue until the position is filled.
- Media Technician – Full-time, year-round position, Tuesday – Saturday schedule. The Media Technician I provides support for audio/visual events on campus, with a strong emphasis on collaboration between members of the Media Services Office and the college community. Responsibilities range from AV resource management and system maintenance to user support/training and equipment integration. This manager will function as a key member of Media Services team, and will function in both the administration and academic environments with the former being the majority of daily tasks. The Media Technician I is expected to keep abreast of emerging trends in A/V technology and suggest new technologies or general improvements to campus technology and processes.
Starting salary of $42-$45K depending on background and experience. Click here to review the full range of responsibilities and qualifications required. If you have the qualifications for this position, apply by emailing your cover letter, resume and names/contact information of four references, preferably in a single pdf document, to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please note both your last name and Job #1543. For best consideration, apply by November 7, 2015. No longer accepting applications
- The Department of Music at Muhlenberg College seeks an outstanding teacher for a tenure-track appointment as Assistant Professor. The ideal candidate would be a musicologist/music historian able to teach the music history survey, electives such as American Music, Opera, and Pop, Rock, and Soul, and more specialized, innovative courses based on individual interests and expertise.
We are a liberal arts college with a strong tradition of excellence in teaching supported by scholarship; thus a successful record of teaching is expected. This is a full-time position with a teaching load of three courses per semester. A completed doctorate degree and full-time college teaching experience are preferred. Please email cover letter, C.V., and one-page statement of teaching philosophy to Dr. Paul Murphy, email@example.com. In your cover letter or in a separate document, please discuss how you will contribute to Muhlenberg's efforts to become a more diverse and inclusive community. In addition, please send three current letters of recommendation. For mailing of hard copies: Dr. Paul Murphy, Chair, Department of Music, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104. Applications received by November 27, 2015 will be given fullest consideration.
OFFICE OF DISABILITY SERVICES
- Office Manager/Testing Coordinator - Under the supervision of the Director and other staff of the Office of Disability Services (ODS), this support staff position will perform all office-related tasks, coordinate all components of the accommodated testing process, and provide support for research and data collection. A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in education/special education or related professional area of study. Experience working in higher education preferred. Working knowledge and experience with the practices, applications, and use of assistive technology including devices and software is required. Click here for full job description.
Starting salary is $17 - $18.25 per hour, depending upon experience. The position is budgeted for 1740 hours annually.
If your background and experience have prepared you for this position, apply by sending a single pdf document including your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for four references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include both "Job #1544" and your last name in the subject line of your email. Application deadline is December 1, 2015. E.O.E.
- Visiting Assistant Professor -one-year, full-time, non-tenure track position in Philosophy beginning Fall 2016. Teaching load is three undergraduate courses per semester (3/3). Ph.D. prior to appointment required. Candidate should be prepared to teach: Philosophy and the Arts; Phenomenology; 19th Century Philosophy; Philosophy of Feminism. Additional expertise in any of the following welcome: Women’s and Gender Studies, Environmental Philosophy, Modern, Logic, Business Ethics. Applicants should submit a dossier including a cover letter, CV, teaching portfolio, and three recommendation letters. Electronic applications preferred: please send materials, combined into a single pdf to: email@example.com, with the subject heading: Visiting Assistant application.
Confidential letters of recommendation must be mailed directly by the referees to Dr. Steve Coutinho, Chair, Department of Philosophy, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104. Deadline for receipt of the application and supporting materials is Monday, November 2nd, 2015 by noon. Muhlenberg College is a member of the Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION & ATHLETICS
Life Guard – PT - 3-4 mornings per week 6-9am;occasional afternoons. Additional hours may be available during college breaks. Must have current Lifeguard certification including CPR, First Aid and AED. $12/ hour. Contact Corey Goff via email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please).
- Building Maintenance Mechanic - Full-time position, 2:30 p.m. – 11 p.m. shift. This is a six-month, leave replacement position. Requires operation, maintenance and repair of HVAC and building control systems as well as general plumbing, general electrical and basic carpentry work. Minimum five years experience. Click here for full job description. To apply, email your resume, cover letter and names of three references to email@example.com, noting both your last name and job #1537 in the subject line of your email. Alternatively, send resume or apply in person to Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew Street, Human Resources, Job # 1537,Allentown, PA 18104. EOE.
- Custodian PT- Weekends (6 am-2:30 pm) academic year. Custodial experience preferred. Send resume or apply in person to Muhlenberg College, HR Office, Job # 1510, 2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104. EOE. Click here for job description.
- Assistant Professor - The Department of Psychology invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in an applied area of Psychology to begin Fall 2016. Muhlenberg College is committed to hiring and supporting faculty who can contribute to our development of a culturally diverse community through their teaching, scholarship, and service. The successful candidate will be student centered and strongly committed to community-based and diversity-related teaching and research in a small liberal arts college environment. Candidates with expertise in one or more of the following are preferred: Community/Counseling psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology or Forensic Psychology. Teaching load is three courses per semester and will include courses within the candidate’s area of expertise and core courses such as introductory psychology, statistics, research methods, and courses that contribute to the College’s General Academic Goals. Qualifications include: a Doctorate in an applied area of Psychology, evidence of excellent teaching, and an active research program that will involve undergraduates. For more information about our department visit http://www.muhlenberg.edu/depts/psychology/aboutus.html. Review of materials will begin immediately. For best consideration, apply before September 30. Applicants should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching and research interests, evidence of teaching excellence, and three letters of reference to: Dr. Mark Sciutto, Department of Psychology, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104-5586. Electronic submissions can be sent to PsychJobs@muhlenberg.edu. Applicants are encouraged to combine materials into a single PDF file (references may be sent separately). Muhlenberg College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Drivers – Part-time, variable hours.
- Shuttle Bus Driver (Job #1538) requires Valid Class B, with air brakes, Pennsylvania Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Permit, clean driving record and pre-employment physical. Click here for full job description. Starting rate is $13.50/hour.
- Van Driver (Job #1539) requires valid PA driver’s license, clean driving record and pre-employment physical. Click here for full job description. Starting rate is $10.50/hour.
THEATRE & DANCE DEPARTMENT
- Assistant Professor of Theatre, Tenure-Track - The Department of Theatre & Dance seeks an Assistant Professor with a terminal degree (PhD) in Theatre for a tenure track position in a dynamic, large, and intellectually adventurous Theatre program. The position will begin in the 2016-2017 academic year. College teaching experience is required. The successful candidate would have the appropriate background to teach courses in theatre scholarship, including our gateway freshman course, Theatre & Society, and additional dramatic literature, theatre theory, and theatre history courses in the candidate’s areas of specialization. Candidates who can teach in areas outside the usual Western dramatic canon will be given strong consideration.
In addition, this job would include opportunities to teach an upper-level Directing course to both acting and directing concentrators in the major. The job will also offer the Assistant Professor of Theatre opportunities to direct and to dramaturg in the Theatre Department’s extensive and adventurous co-curricular production program. The successful candidate must be a collaborator and mentor with strong communication skills and a demonstrated commitment to undergraduate teaching. The teaching load is 3/3 and may include offering courses that fulfill the College's general education requirements. Specific expertise and background in teaching writing is a plus.
Muhlenberg College is an excellent liberal arts college with a top-10 rated Theatre Department and large major, roughly 245 students. The college has a demonstrated commitment to excellence in faculty teaching and research. An equal opportunity employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education. For additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to diversity and inclusion, applicants can visit the College's Diversity Strategic Plan (2015 updates).
Applications for this position will be accepted starting immediately and all application materials must be received by December 15, 2015. The search committee will accept only emailed applications that contain: (a) letter of application, (b) curriculum vitae, (c) three current letters of recommendation, (d) a teaching statement, and (e) evidence of scholarly work (a writing sample). Letters of recommendation should speak to teaching ability and creative work. The letter of application should be addressed to Dr. Beth Schachter, Professor of Theatre and Chair, Department of Theatre and Dance and sent to the following email address: TheatreSearch2@muhlenberg.edu. **Please make sure, in your cover letter or in a separate document, to discuss how you will contribute to Muhlenberg's efforts to become a more diverse and inclusive community.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check.
- Public Services Assistant (Job #1550)
Under the direction of the Head of Public Outreach and Information Literacy Services, the Public Services Assistant is: responsible for the overall control, functioning, and security of the library facility, its collections and services, and its occupants during specified hours, including evening, late night and weekend hours; supervises activities of student assistants staffing service desks; provides informational and directional assistance to users; serves as link between users and specialized library staff who are not present; makes appropriate referrals to those staff; and performs other duties as assigned and as dictated by the needs of users.
Required qualifications: A baccalaureate degree and related job experience or an associate degree in library technology and experience working in a library. Some knowledge of general library procedures, information resources, computers, and library security concerns. Ability to work and interact effectively with diverse groups of people, including library users, faculty, and students. Ability to respond appropriately to emergency situations, maintain a proper study environment, and employ good judgment in the resolution of disputes. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Demonstrated success in working with the public and a strong commitment to library services.
Preferred qualifications: Experience with circulation, reference, marketing, displays, and outreach. Click here for full job description.
This is a Staff Associate, non-exempt position. Starting salary is $2,225 - $2,275 per month depending on background and experience; a nominal increase is awarded following a successful 90-day review. This position is full-time (35 hours per week) with eligibility to all benefits offered by the College. Standard shifts include evening, late night, and weekend hours and include closing shifts. Shifts will change during intersessions and over summers. Apply by email, submitting a single pdf including your cover letter, resume, and list of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include both your last name and Job #1550 in the subject line of your email. Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. E.O.E.
An equal opportunity employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education. For additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to diversity and inclusion, applicants can visit the College's Diversity Strategic Plan (2015 updates).
Last updated: November 25, 2015