SENIOR RECITALS or PERFORMANCES
Senior Recitals/Performances must be scheduled by
May 1st for Fall Semester and November 1st for Spring Semester
Music Majors – Performance Concentration (Senior Recital)
- Students should complete and submit the Permission to Register/Schedule Senior Recital for BOTH Fall & Spring semester of their Senior Year to fulfill the CUE.
- Students will still need to choose their lesson time on the Music Department webpage, but will not need to register in Capstone.
- The Permission to Register/Schedule Senior Recital or Senior Performance must be completed prior to a Senior Recital date being scheduled.
Prior to requesting a date:
- Coordinate with Applied Music Instructor: Students will work with their instructor to choose and rehearse appropriate repertoire for the Senior Recital. Dress rehearsal and Senior Recital dates should be chosen in conjunction with Applied Music Instructor.
- Choose a Location: The Recital Hall and the Chapel are usual choices for a Senior Recital. Other spaces may be requested, but the Music Department is not able to provide a recording of recitals in any other venue.
- If a location other than the Recital Hall or Chapel is chosen, Media Services may be able to provide minimal equipment. The Applied Music Instructor will submit an on-line Media Services Request through the departmental forms link and will be responsible for any equipment.
- Find an Accompanist: Students are responsible for paying the accompanist's fee for a Senior Recital. The Music Department does not pay for the accompanist.
- Make an appointment to meet with the Music Department Administrative Assistant: The Administrative Assistant will review the completed Permission to Register/Schedule Senior Recital or Senior Performance and available dress rehearsal/senior recital dates/times/locations.
- Format a Program: The music department will have Senior Recital programs printed at the college's print shop at no charge to the student. The required Senior Recital Program template is on the Music Department web page under “Forms.”
- The program should be e-mailed to the Administrative Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org) as a pdf document one month prior to the Senior Recital date. Students may also opt to print the programs at their own expense. Programs not submitted to the Music Office one month prior to the Senior Recital date will not be printed by the Music Department.
- Once the printed program is delivered to the Music Office, the student will be notified by e-mail to pick them up. Students should bring the programs to the recital for distribution.
- Students are welcome to use the Music Department copier to print any translations and/or program notes that do not fit on the required Senior Recital Program template. These should be copied on white paper, two-sided and stapled, as needed.
- Publicity: The Administrative Assistant will add Senior Recital information to the events calendar on the college website, and it will be listed on the department concert/recital list which is printed at the start of the semester. The week of the Senior Recital an e-mail will be sent to the entire Muhlenberg community called “This Week’s Music Events.” All other publicity is the responsibility of the student.
- Receptions: Students are welcome to arrange a reception following Senior Recitals but are responsible for booking and the expenses incurred. All on-campus catering must be contracted with Sodexo; due to contractual agreement, outside food is not permitted. Please contact JoEllen Rooney, Campus Event Coordinator, at 484-664-3810 or email@example.com to make arrangements.
Music Majors – Music Theory/Composition or Music History Concentration (Senior Performance)
- Students should complete and submit the Permission to Schedule Senior Performance prior to scheduling their Senior Performance.
- A Senior Performance does not count as CUE for Music Theory/Composition or Music History concentrations.
- Students will still register for their Applied Music Lessons on Capstone.
Prior to requesting a date:
- Same as Senior Recital information above.
Music Department sponsorship is limited to Senior Recitals and Senior Performances only.
If you have any other questions, please contact the Administrative Assistant at 484-664-3363 or firstname.lastname@example.org