‌Some of the most common questions we receive from adult students focus on the transfer process. Many of our students have attended college before; some transfer directly upon completing two years of study at one of our local community colleges, others return to the classroom after studying at a four-year college some years ago, and some even have previous college work from schools in another country. At the School of Continuing Studies, we understand that there is no “one size fits all” approach to serving adult students. My best advice to adult students planning to begin or continue their education to earn their bachelor’s degree is:

  • Start the process early. Sit down with an academic advisor who can review previous coursework you may have completed and discuss the many degree options open to you.
  • Please bring a copy of your transcript(s) to our meeting. You may bring official or unofficial transcripts for our initial discussion. Students are often surprised by how much credit they previously earned can be transferred. A School of Continuing Studies advisor will review your transfer work and show you how it will fit into completing a Muhlenberg College degree.
  • Credit-by-examination (e.g., CLEP, ACE, or DANTES) is another excellent way to earn college credit. The adviser will explain how you can pursue potential credit for acquired knowledge
  • A financial aid officer will advise you about application dates and requirements to apply. The School of Continuing Studies has dedicated staff members experienced in working with adult students.
  • Review your military or employer tuition benefits. Many employers provide some type of tuition benefit to their employees; inquire with your human resources department for specific details. In addition, the School of Continuing Studies provides tuition deferment for those students who receive employer or military tuition benefits.
  • Finding the school and program that’s a comfortable fit for you is important. Your future classmates would love to show you around. It’s a great time to be an adult student. The School of Continuing Studies offers a full slate of degrees and programs created specifically with the adult learner in mind. Flexible scheduling includes accelerated and online or blended formats, and classes offered during evening hours and weekends. There are also ample opportunities for experiential learning that will allow our adult students to take the skills they’ve learned in the classroom and apply them directly to their own lives and work.

If you have any additional questions or would like to speak with an academic advisor, please get in touch with us at 484-664-3300 or continuingstudies@muhlenberg.edu or fill in this form.


Contact Information

Office of Admissions

School of Continuing Studies
Address Muhlenberg College Gabriel House 484-664-3532 (fax) 2400 Chew Street Allentown, PA 18104