Summer Programs Committee
Developing a Plan for Summer Programs at Muhlenberg
a memo from President Helm to potential members of the Working Group, dated June 27, 2007
I hope you will agree to serve on a new Working Group that I am recruiting to develop a comprehensive plan for summer programs on the Muhlenberg campus. Glenn Gerchman has agreed to chair this committee, which will first convene at the start of the fall semester and will (we hope) complete its work by submitting a plan and recommendations to me by the end of that semester.
The Committee will be charged with the task of thinking creatively and strategically about the best use of our campus during the summer months. Issues I hope you will address include:
- 1. Optimum summer use levels of campus residence halls, classrooms, technology, and other facilities.
- 2. Accommodation of current activities, including alumni reunion weekend, summer school programs, summer research, summer theatre, sports camps, and others.
- 3. Appropriate types, scale, and schedules of conferences, camps, and other activities to maximize revenues while strengthening the College’s reputation and providing adequate time for maintenance, renovation, and care of facilities and equipment.
- 4. Cost impact of expanded summer use of facilities (utilities, custodial, etc.) and pricing of summer programs (utilizing comparable data from other institutions).
- 5. An effective and efficient management structure for summer programs, including responsibility for marketing and coordinating summer activities.
- 6. Possible operating implication for dining services, health services, athletic facilities, housing staff, etc.