Get more information on our services.
UPDATE: January 5, 2021
If you are experiencing an imminent emergency, please call 911 or National Crisis Hotline at
Please scroll down for an update on our Remote Consultation Model FAQs.
Counseling Services is offering ongoing consultations remotely as its primary service model, though in-person sessions may be available in specific circumstances deemed warranted by the clinical staff. Many students who are seeking ongoing, weekly or more frequent therapy may wish to obtain a therapist closer to their home due to certain restrictions that may occur related to ethical and legal restrictions for remote therapy, particularly those across state lines.
If you’d like to obtain a consultation with a counselor, go to your Student Portal --> Log in to your OneLogin Page -->Click on the PyraMed Health Portal Tile --> My Forms (at the top of the page) --> Select "Consultation Request Form" and fill out your information before submitting the form. Once submitted, a representative from the Counseling Department will contact you within 24 hours via Secure Messaging (also located on your OneLogin) to schedule an appointment.
As always, Counseling Services will offer urgent, on-call counseling after hours (4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. on weekdays and throughout the weekends). This can be accessed through the main Counseling Services phone number 484-664-3178.
All services are confidential and free for full-time and part-time undergraduate students.
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
ConfidentialityCounseling Services at Muhlenberg College is governed by legal and ethical standards of confidentiality. Any and all participation at Counseling Services is strictly confidential. Any student wishing information to be released to parents, faculty, administration, etc, must sign a release of information indicating this intent.
Connect With Us
Please feel free to contact us for more information or virtually meet our staff.
Remote Consultation Model FAQs
What is the newly established Remote Consultation Model?
Counseling Services will be offering a Remote Consultation Model of care and suspend our regular, in-person Customized Care model until further notice. The primary focus of all consults will be to:
- Assess risk if applicable
- Assist students in enhancing the repertoire of available coping strategies
- Provide students with the important emotional support needed at this time and to assist in identifying potential support systems
- Provide referrals where applicable
- Access crisis services if needed.
What are the specifics of the Remote Consultation Model?
- There will be no limits placed on how many times a student may access a consultation.
- Consultation sessions will be approximately 30-45 minutes in length.
- Consultations will either be by phone or video conferencing.
- Students can request a consultation with the therapist that they’ve already established a relationship with prior to leaving campus
- Consultations will occur primarily within regular business hours 8:30am-4:30pm though other arrangements may be available as per agreement by the student and clinician.
- There are no changes to after-hours emergency consultations. Students can access urgent care 24/7
What is expected of me during a remote consultation session?
- It is highly recommended that you find a distraction-free space.
- Furthermore, it is expected that you give the session your full attention and
avoid multi-tasking during the session.
- Sometimes students choose to go for a walk while engaging a phone consultation. This may be a helpful choice because it can help to maintain a better focus on the session than needing to avoid the temptation of multi-tasking while in your house.
- Please be aware of your surroundings to ensure that your phone call is confidential.
- Headphones are often helpful, but it is important that you are aware of your surroundings to ensure the call is confidential.
How do I request a consultation session?
Students will continue to schedule consultations AND request after-hours emergency consultation via the primary Counseling Services number at 484-664-3178. Students can also request a consultation by completing the online form that can be found on the front page of the Counseling Services website.
Should I transition to a therapist in my local community?
Students are strongly advised to transition to a treatment provider in their community if they wish to engage ongoing therapy. Ongoing therapy within Counseling Services will be suspended at this time in favor of an ongoing consultation model of care. The Shrink Space is a referral website Muhlenberg College has partnered with to help students connect with off-campus mental health care providers. Visit this website to search for providers who meet your particular needs.
What are the discussion groups offered and how can I be a part of them?
Please follow the link in the side bar to learn more about the different discussion groups we offer.
Can I continue my Psychiatric appointments in the short term?
Psychiatric appointments are available throughout the academic year, though students are strongly advised to transition to a local provider in their area and to do so immediately due to the sometimes significant wait time prior to the first appointment within local psychiatric providers.
Will Counseling Services be offering any outreach?
We will be disseminating helpful strategies for students to consider throughout the semester. These resources may assist students in strengthening their resilience during this time of significant adjustment. Students may find these resources via our webpage, Instagram account, and email.