There have been many stories in the national media in the last few years about the reemergence of bed bug problems throughout the country. These have included recent stories about colleges and universities dealing with widespread problems in their residence halls. Bedbugs are primarily a problem for the hospitality industry, such as hotels, motels, guest houses, cruise ships, and resorts. The bedbugs are picked up from an infested room and carried back to the residence in clothing and luggage. The incidences of bedbugs in residence halls throughout the college and university communities in the United States are on the increase.
What is Muhlenberg Doing About Bed Bugs ?
Muhlenberg College is taking the appropriate steps on campus to be prepared for any potential problems with bed bugs. The College has taken the following preventative steps;
- Created a Task Force comprised of several College departments
(Plant Operations, Housing & Residence Life, Health Center, Dean of Students)
- Developed a campus response plan
- Contracted and consulted with a licensed pest management company
- Use mattresses that utilize bed bug resistant design
I think I have Bed Bugs. What Should I Do ?
1. Do not spray insecticide!
The EFFECTIVE insecticides are only for sale to and used by professional pest-management companies. If you try to control these bugs with over-the-counter products, the bed bugs likely will become dispersed, resulting in a more difficult treatment required at a later date.
2. Contact The Office of Housing & Residence Life Immediately;
M-F 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.- (484)-664-3180
Weekends and afterhours contact Campus Safety - (484) 664-3110
3. If you have suspected bed bug bites
Go to The Health Center
M-F 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M
What Will Happen Once I Report Bed Bugs?
1. You will be asked to place all of your bedding, clothes, and all other material items (i.e. curtains) in bags and instructed how to properly launder the belongings.
2. The College Exterminator and/or Plant Operations will respond to your room for an observation/inspection.
3. If Bed Bugs are confirmed you will receive further direction and details from Housing & Residence Life regarding treatment of the room*.
*Treatment of a confirmed bed bug case will require extensive and repeat treatments by our professional contracted exterminator. Relocation of your housing may be required.