The Days of the Dead and All Saints' Day are solemn days of remembrance for Christians. They are also days for happy memories of those who have gone before us, days to contemplate life's fragile beauty, days to strengthen the bonds that connect us all, here now and already gone.
For more than a decade now, we have created a community altar at Muhlenberg College so that we can remember and share. The altar is built with many hands --student hands, our neighbors' hands, artists' hands.
We invite the community to take part -- in whatever way you feel inspired to partake -- in the series of events around the creation of the altar.
Click below for more details (posters in English and Spanish):
Wednesday 29 October, 2014 - Skull Decorating
THURSDAY 30 October, 6-9 pm, in the Chapel:
- the altar is built by students or volunteers
- FRIDAY 31 October - MONDAY 3 November, 8 am-5 pm:
- the Chapel is open for visits to the folk altar. Please feel free to leave photos, flowers, and food offerings.
FRIDAY 31 October, 2-3 pm in the chapel:
COMMUNITY TALK on the Day of the Dead, with reflections on the holiday here and in Mexico.
- SUNDAY 2 November, 5:30-6:30 pm:
- Bilingual Sunday Service in the Chapel, followed by a potluck dinner... there will be tamales!