Secondary Grades 7-12 Certification
Although the elementary guidelines have changed in Pennsylvania, those for secondary teacher certification have remained the same with the exception of one additional course for a total of 10 education courses. Additional coursework is required in the cognate courses and major.
- A bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, English, French, History, Mathematics, Science, Physics, or Spanish
- Required Cognate Courses:
- 2 courses in mathematics
- Writing Composition
- British or American Literature
- Education Courses:
- History and Politics of American Education
- Educational Psychology: Adolescent Learning and Development
- Introduction to Special Education
- Integrating Curriculum and Instruction for Adolescent Learners
- Theory and Practice of Teaching English Language Learners
- Content Area Curriculum for Adolescent Learners (Major concentration)
- Professional Semester:
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Studies in Professional Education
- Student Teaching I
- Student Teaching II
If you are interested in learning more about our program, please complete the form or contact our office at 484-664-3300 to schedule an initial meeting with the Director of Teacher Certification. A copy of your resumé and any transcripts you may have will be helpful in assessing what courses you will need to take.
Additionally, please review Teacher Certification Frequently Asked Questions and Teacher Certification Brochure.
I would like to schedule an advisement meeting.