Welcome to the
Dean of Academic Life home page!
Muhlenberg Extended Learning (MXL) Grants - This summer, Muhlenberg’s School of Continuing Studies is offering over 80 courses all online. Current full-time students have always been able to access Continuing Studies’ summer courses, but financial aid isn’t commonly available for summer. Through the generosity of donors, the College is offering 100 one-course scholarships for Muhlenberg’s Summer Study. Priority for these scholarships is for current Muhlenberg undergraduate students who are receiving need-based financial aid, impacted by the Coronavirus-related disruption this spring, and/or in greatest need for a summer course to maintain academic progress. Those receiving an award will be notified by email by the Dean of Academic Life. Most awards will be made by May 1st. Click here to Apply.
The Dean of Academic Life Announces Student Summer Research Grants Available for Summer 2021 from our office and a new opportunity, the Timothy A. Birch Student Research Grant (for underrepresented students): Summer Research Grants
Muhlenberg College Announces Students Named to Fall 2020 Dean's List: View Dean's List
2020 Honors Convocation
What we do
Our role is to help ensure student success. We work closely with students across a broad spectrum of campus on everything from advising to summer research grants to conference travel to applying for national and international awards. In addition, we sponsor a variety of events on campus including Honors Convocation and June Advising.
Resources Available for Students
Multiple forms of support are available to all Muhlenberg students including:
- Tutoring – Students in many classes can sign up for a tutor through the Academic Resource Center (ARC). Tutor sessions are either individual or one-on-one.
- Workshops – Many introductory classes have student run workshops. The workshops provide opportunities for students to ask questions and spend more time learning the material for their classes. The Learning Assistants who run the workshops are upperclassmen who coordinate with the faculty member about the content of the workshop.
- Writing Center – Found in the library, the writing center is available to all students on a drop-in basis. The Writing Assistants who staff the Center will work with students on individual assignments helping them to rethink and rewrite their work.
- Help with study skills – The ARC has staff available who can help students with study habits and techniques that help students be successful in their classes.
- Office of Disability Services – ODS helps students document their disabilities and then develops a personalized accommodation plan designed to help each student succeed.
Opportunities for Students
- Summer Research – Research grants for students are available through our office as well as through several departments. Research is a great way to learn about a topic in depth. It prepares you for success in graduate school and employment.
- Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards – Many of our best students apply for competitive national and international awards. These awards provide money to attend graduate programs or teach English in a foreign country, etc.
- Travel Grants – Our office provides support to send students who have produced high quality work to major academic conferences. At the conferences, you will begin to make your mark in your chosen field.
- Muhlenberg Extended Learning (MXL) Grants - This summer, Muhlenberg’s School of Continuing Studies offered 80 courses, all offered online. Current full-time students have always been able to access Continuing Studies’ summer courses, but financial aid isn’t commonly available for summer. Through the generosity of several donors, the College was able to offer 100 one-course scholarships for Muhlenberg’s Summer Study. Priority for these scholarships was for current Muhlenberg undergraduate students who were receiving need-based financial aid, impacted by the Coronavirus-related disruption this spring, and/or in greatest need for a summer course to maintain progress.